17- Our Hearts Are Monsters

DAPHNE

Am I a bad person? Probably because only a bad person would see someone in pain and not do a thing.

Ugh! I rip out another page from my drawing book.

"It's been a week, Daphne" I mutter. It's been a week since the whole Marilla incident but I can't seem to get it out of my head. I don't even know if that's the problem. The dream I had last night where I saw myself covered in blood might be the issue. It has to be the incident with Marilla, perhaps it marred my mind. I mean I just stood there and watched him do that to her. She deserved it so I didn't try to stop him. Not that he would even listen to me. Maybe I'm a bad person because I didn't try to stop him.

I tug at my hair, I am losing my mind. No, I think it's unrelated. He punished her a week ago but I had this dream last night. Ugh! I stare at my room, it's a mess because of the white scrunched-up pieces of paper lying around. I hear the door open but I still don't turn to see who it is.

I know what she's going to ask me. She's going to say 'Are you okay?' then I'll lie and say 'Yes'

"Yes, Sahar, do you need something?"

No response. I turn around and my eyes widen. Him?!

"Dagon!" I exclaim. He smiles.

"There's something I have to show you"

"Oh..." I mumble.

I follow him down a hall, I wonder where we're going. He stops in front of a door and opens it. He holds the door open for me.

"Am I blind or are you being a gentleman?" I mutter teasingly. He chuckles. I walk in before him. I stare at an empty room...or rather a space. There's nothing here, no pieces of furniture. Nothing.

I furrow my brows, what is this supposed to be?

"Your new room, I heard you like sleeping on the floor" he states.

"What?" I make a half laugh, half confused face.

"Kidding" he chuckles and so do I. Who knew he got jokes?

"I thought you needed a room...to draw...paint...any of that"

My eyes widen. A drawing room?? For me?? Just like the one I had at home for drawing. I don't even know what to say...He kissed me, then he got mad at me for not speaking up about my palm and now he's gifting a drawing room. I mean it's thoughtful but what does it mean? I bite my cheeks to try to hide my smile.

"Thank you"

He smiles. A small sincere smile that makes his blue eyes seem lighter.

But wait...once I find out the truth about my parents' death, I'm leaving. Right? Did he forget? Did I forget?

Yes, I need to find out what happened to my parents. That's the reason I'm here. Speaking of death...

"I think I'm going to die" I state easily. I don't think death ever scared me...in fact, after my parents, I think I wanted it.

I watch his expression change from calm to tense. Just like that, his once warm blue eyes are now darker.

"I took care of Marilla don't -"

"It's not about her- what did you do to her?" I question.

"What do you mean it's not about her?"

I sigh, turning towards the window. He suddenly grips my shoulder, turning me back towards him.

"Were you threatened? If you were I promise you I'll -"

"I had a dream" I mumble. I realize how stupid I sound. Declaring I would die because of the dream I had last night.

"A dream? Do you think you're going to die because of a dream? Listen, I'll protect you even if it's from a dream"

I laugh, protect me from a dream? Why?

"Why would you protect me?" I ask. If I'm going to die, I might as well have answers to my questions.

"Obviously, you're my responsibility"

Sure. I give him a false smile. What was I expecting him to say? Of course, he'll just stand there and pretend that we didn't kiss.

"Thank you. I appreciate the gift but I don't want a drawing room...once I find out the truth I'll return home"

Home. Where it's safe. I walk out of the room without waiting for a reply. What did I expect him to say? That he was attached to me? Because I might be getting attached to him.

Once I reach my room I shut the door and sit on the ground, pressing my back against the door.

This is pathetic. I'm pathetic. I need to go back home. Back to that empty house...that empty room...but at least it's safer than being around people. When you're around people, you start getting attached and when you get attached your very breath depends on the person. I can't do that to myself. I can't get attached to this life, to this realm, to Kaida, Alma, Sahar, and definitely not Dagon.

I was foolish. I kissed him. I gave him my first kiss, didn't that mean something? No, I can't think like this. I kissed him. I screwed up. Well...I won't let that happen again. I just need to rebuild my walls and I'll be fine. I always am. I can look out for me. I always do. I crack a smile. I'm Daphne Brígh Amaris. I'm independent, strong, smart, and definitely hot as hell...I don't need anyone.

This time, I'll freaking cement my walls so that there won't be any cracks.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Please don't forget to vote, share, comment, and follow me here on Wattpad.

I was literally listening to "Driver's License" by Olivia Rodrigo and "Unstoppable" by Sia when I wrote this chapter.

Xoxo.