38- This is everything I've never wanted (2)

DAPHNE

"Can I tell you a secret?" Alma questions. We're standing in a corner chatting. I got tired of dancing and Dagon left with Nikola to do something.

"Yes, of course" I reply.

She releases a breath like it's a big deal. It must be extremely important.

"When Nikola told me that the vampire council wasn't convinced he was fit to rule, I...I was happy"

Wait, what?! There's a vampire council? They think Nikola is unfit to rule? She was happy?!

"Why?" I ask.

"Because I don't want him to be King"

Woah. Shocking revelation.

"Nikola never wanted to be King. He's only after it because his father wants him to."

Oh...

"Can't he just tell his father he doesn't want it?" I ask.

"It's not that easy. Apart from obeying the King, Nikola doesn't want to abandon the throne because if he does, by law Dagon will have to be King and I'm sure that's the last thing Dagon wants. Nikola can't put that kind of pressure on him"

I take a sip of my champagne. Wow...
That is complicated. I think I agree with Alma, I doubt Dagon would ever want to be King.

"What do you plan to do?" I quiz.

"Being King's a huge responsibility, it's a lot to handle. The pressures, the politics, it's a lot. What I want for my family is a simple life, I want my son, Elijah to grow up happy not burdened with the responsibility of crown prince. I've watched Nikola make sacrifices for everyone. He always tries to live up to his father's expectations of him and I just...I want him to be free from the King and the throne. I want him to be happy"

She's right about Nikola. I can imagine how she feels. She just wants him to be happy.

"But...Dagon is wild and all he's ever known is freedom. I couldn't ask Nikola to take that away from him. I don't know what to do"

If she's confused then I'm conflicted. I don't want Dagon to have to be King if he doesn't want to. It's selfish but I'm looking out for him right now.

I don't want Nikola to be in pieces either but...it isn't even my place to decide. It's Nikola's choice.

I place my hand over hers.

"Why don't you take a step back and see how things turn out and besides-"

A loud noise cuts me off. I see people rushing towards the windows and balcony. They're looking at something outside.

"Oh no!" Alma yells rushing towards a window. She heard something. I follow after her.

I freeze when I reach the window. No, it can't be. My blood runs cold and my heart threatens to leap out of my chest. Caspian. He's here. I watch Nikola and Caspian struggling downstairs. He must have attacked Nikola or something.

"He's trying to bite him..." Alma trails off before disappearing from my sight. She must have gone downstairs to help Nikola. Why is Caspian back? Can't he die already? I'm sick of him.

Just as Alma reaches the scene, Dagon shows up and tries to pull Caspian away from Nikola. Caspian is angrier today and I can't understand it. Then, my eyes drift to the sky. It's a full moon. A full moon gives werewolves strength. Of course, he waited for when the moon was at its fullest to attack. My heart clenches watching Dagon try to separate Caspian from Nikola.

I need to do something. I turn around, searching for anything. The armoury. Yes, there will be weapons in the armoury. I run as fast as my heels can carry me. Emilia's prophecy rings in my head. Caspian needs to die. Once he's dead, Dagon will be safe. Caspian needs to die. Reaching the armoury, I take out a bow and a bag of arrows before running back to the window.

Just as I return, Dagon manages to free Nikola from Caspian's grip. The next events happen too quickly in front of my eyes. Caspian changes to his wolf form and lunges at Dagon aggressively and swiftly, tackling him to the ground. Dagon throws Caspian off him and before Caspian can further attack Dagon, I fire my arrow.

DAGON

Caspian is stronger today, I underestimated him. As soon as he bites down on my arm, I throw him off me. I stare at my arm, the sleeve of my tux ripped open, and the teeth marks.

Shit.

I hear a small whimper and my gaze lands on Caspian laying still on the ground with an arrow in his head. I look up and I see Daphne with a bow in her hand right before she leaves the window.

She saved me. I can hear her running down the stairs and out the doors. She appears in my line of sight and runs towards me, hugging me. I hug her tightly, knowing this would be the last time I'd be able to hug her like this.

When she pulls away from me, she's smiling.

"I killed him. You're safe. We don't have to worry about him anymore" she mutters.

She's so beautiful right now. She's so amazing. The most amazing thing that ever happened to me but...it won't last. It doesn't end well for us.

"Dagon? What's wrong?" She questions cupping my cheeks. I lean into her touch, she always gives me love that I don't deserve.

"I feel your sadness. What is it?" She presses.

My gaze shifts from her beautiful eyes to the bite mark on my arm. Her gaze follows mine and she gasps.

"It's Caspian's blood right?" She asks.

"Dagon, tell me it's not your blood! Tell me that's not a bite mark!"

I watch tears fall down her cheeks. No, she shouldn't cry for me. I deserve this. I've been cruel. I was even cruel to her the first time she got here. I've killed. Impulsively too. I became Caspian's worse nightmare and this is my punishment. I didn't mean to ruin her life though. I just don't know anymore. I deserve to die.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Guess they don't get their happy ending 💔

Not to mention the promise he made to her. Now, he won't be able to fulfill them💔💔

Please don't forget to vote, share, comment, and follow me here on Wattpad.

Xoxo.