40- That was a lot easier than expected (1)

DAPHNE

I watch Alma, Nikola, Erix, and Elijah say their goodbyes to Dagon. It's too much. Alma cried. Nikola cried. Erix cried. Elijah cried. Even the King, he didn't see Dagon but I caught him crying. At this point, pain is the highlight of my life.

I didn't get my parents' love. They died and I was alone. Dagon is the only person that has ever loved me so much. He became my hope. My happy and my forever but all that is gone.

I should be in a wedding dress, and we should be getting married but instead, I'm watching him die slowly and there's nothing I can do about it.

What did I do to deserve this much pain? If I wasn't meant to be happy then I should have just died with my parents. Why give me a glimmer of hope only for it to be snatched away?

My heart is in pain like there's a knife stuck there and someone's twisting this knife and all I can feel is just pain.

The clock in the hallway chimes, drawing my attention. It's six in the evening. Time isn't on my side. I need to be with him even if it's hard. I walk towards his room and open the door.

"Dagon?" I walk towards his bed. He's asleep. A tear escapes my left eye at his condition. He's so pale. His lips are white and he's sweating a lot. I grab a white towel and start wiping the beads of cold sweat off his head.

He grabs my hand suddenly, squeezing it tightly to the point where I whimper in pain.

"What are you punishing me for this time?! I need blood, I'm starving!" He growls.

He's hallucinating again. No doubt about his mother. It's always about her.

"Dagon? No one's punishing you." I say. He reacts by proceeding to twist my arm. I whimper.

"Dagon, you're hurting me"

"I'm hurting you?! What about the pain you caused me?! You taught me to survive like my life was always in danger. You said no one cared about me. Especially not my father. Didn't you think your words were harsh, Mother?"

"Dagon, it's me. It's Daphne"

He releases my arms, blinking twice as if to confirm it's me.

"I'm so sorry Daphne, it's not me. I wouldn't ever hurt-"

"Shhhh, I know."

"Why do you keep coming here when you know I'm unstable?" He questions.

Because I love you.

"Because I need you to function properly" I mutter.

Just then, the door opens and Kaida's standing at the door.

Oh, Kaida. I forgot about her. How can I tell her? How can I explain to her?

"Hello, princess" Dagon whispers. I stand up from the bed and walk towards the balcony to give them privacy. Though, I'm not far from ear's reach.

"Elijah said you're sick" she mumbles.

"Yes, I am" I hear the bed shuffle, he must be making room for her.

"Well, when are you going to get better?"

I clench my fingers and bite my lip. I can't break down in front of Kaida but her question is ripping my heart out all over again.

"Remember the dove I got you?"

"Yes"

"It got sick and fell asleep for a really long time" he says. This must be hard for him. I release a breath as tears fall down my cheeks. I can't take this.