Thirteen

Addison's POV

"Hi Amelia." Amelia entered the house and the two of us entered the living room. Cordelia was sitting on the couch doing her homework. She had a smile on her face upon seeing us. Amelia knew about Cordelia and Meredith because I didn't want to hide anything from her. Meredith knew about Amelia and her history with drugs but trusted her with Cordelia. Amelia also knew what Derek did to Cordelia and was disowned by the other Shepherds for siding with Cordelia. If Christopher Shepherd was alive today, I'm sure he wouldn't put up with what his wife and other children were doing to Amelia. I'm definitely sure that he wouldn't stand by Derek abusing Cordelia.

"Cordelia, this is my little sister Amelia Shepherd." Cordelia looked up at us with a smile on her face.

"Hello Amelia, it is nice to meet you." Cordelia signed to Amelia.

"It's lovely to meet you as well Cordelia. I'm so sorry for what Derek did to you." Amelia said before sitting on the couch next to Cordelia.

"Not your fault so do not blame yourself." Cordelia signed to Amelia before going back to her schoolwork.

"Addie, what's that on Cordelia's head?" Amelia asks me, pointing to a red bump on her head.

"Cordelia, how did you get that bump on your head?" Cordelia looked up at us while biting her bottom lip.

"Izzie threw me against the fridge because I accidentally broke a glass in an attempt to get some water." Cordelia signed to both of us.

"Well sweetheart, we're going to have to take you to the hospital. Just to make sure that bump isn't serious." Cordelia nodded before grabbing her teddy bear, Grey.

****************

Meredith's POV

"O'Malley, Yang, Karev, go on to clinic." Dr. Bailey tells George, Alex and Cristina who all leave the hallway. Dr. Bailey turns around to face Izzie and I to give us our assignments.

"You two come with me. Izzie, you're hanging with me today. Dr. Grey, you are examining Claire Rice in room 2380." Dr. Bailey says before I headed towards room 2380 where Claire and her parents were. Claire was sitting on the hospital bed biting her nails while her parents, Tina and Joseph Rice were standing on one side of the bed.

"I think she got some bug on her trip to Mexico with her friends. I told her not to go to a Third-World country, but does she ever listen?" Mrs. Rice says, reminding me a bit of Mom before her Alzheimer's diagnosis.

"She's been weak ever since and she's lost weight. And this morning, she passed out in the shower." Mr. Rice explained to me.

"I barely lost any weight." Claire mumbled under her breath, but I still heard her.

"When was the trip?"

"A couple weeks ago. I'm really fine. I just have a fever. Just give me some antibiotics and send me home." Claire tells me.

"Well, maybe it is just a fever, but they called down for a surgeon, so I have to give the ok to let you go. So just let me do the exam."

"No. This is crazy. I'm fine." Claire protests, earning her a glare from her mother.

"For God's sake, Claire, I don't want to spend my entire day here." Mrs. Rice yells.

"You know, actually, Mrs. Rice, this might be easier if we had some privacy. So would you two mind leaving the room?" Both parents leave the room and I began examining Claire.

"Wow. Don't push so hard." Claire says while I push on her stomach.

"Can you lift your shirt so I can examine your stomach?" Claire lifted her shirt up, revealing pink scars.

"Where did you get these? Claire...you've had surgery recently. These scars are still pink."

"Don't tell my parents." Claire begs me, causing me to realize that she got this done in Mexico.

"You did this in Mexico so your parents wouldn't know? What did you have done?" Dr. Bailey pages me and I run out of the room to the nurse's station.

"You paged?"

"How is your patient?" Dr. Bailey asked me.

"She's febrile and has peritoneal signs. Dr. Bailey, I think she had some sort of illegal surgery done in Mexico."

"Botched abortion?" Dr. Bailey asked me and I shake my head.

"No! She has four laparoscopic scars on her abdomen and won't say what they're from, the parents are clueless."

"She's a minor." Dr. Bailey points out to me.

"Seventeen. Freshman in college."

"You order up for a CT?" Dr. Bailey asks and I nodded in response.

"While she's there, one of the nurses informed me that Cordelia's in the Pit." Dr. Bailey says before I headed to the Pit where Cordelia was sitting on a bed. Addison and a young woman were standing beside her while Arizona was examining Cordelia.

"What happened little one?" Cordelia looked up at me while clutching onto Grey, her teddy bear.

"Izzie Stevens threw her against the fridge because Cordelia accidentally broke a glass in an attempt to get water." Addison says while Arizona was making Cordelia laugh by making glove balloons.

"Hi. I'm Dr. Amelia Shepherd." Amelia introduced herself to me and I gave her a smile.

"It's lovely to me you. I'm Dr. Meredith Grey." Izzie walked over to us and Cordelia immediately flinched.

"How about the two of us go visit Elliott?" Arizona suggested to Cordelia who nodded before hopping off the bed and leaves with Arizona.

"Izzie, you've hurt Cordelia for the last time. You have thirty days to find another place to live because I'm evicting your sorry ass."

"You and Cordelia, along with George are moving in with me." Addison says before hugging me and I leaned into her embrace.

"We'll move in but Cordelia needs certain things in her room."

"That's fine." Addison responded with a smile.

"She's ten and you're treating her like she's a baby!" Izzie angrily stated, causing Amelia to punch her in the face.

"Cordelia hasn't had the best life so her mothers will treat her like she needs to be treated! You are just a washed out model who harms little girls." Amelia says before storming off.

**************

Cordelia's POV

"What happened to your face?" Elliott asks me when I entered his hospital room. His parents Patrick and Natalia Carpenter were by his bedside, giving me looks of concern.

"Izzie threw me against the fridge because I accidentally broke a glass in an attempt to get some water." I signed to Elliott, who just grabbed onto my hand.

"Are you okay? She didn't give you any medical issues?" Natalia signed to me with a comforting smile on her face.

"No, she did not. Luckily for me, my family are doctors so they are able to spot if something is wrong." I signed to Natalia, while Patrick handed me a gift and I looked at him with a look of confusion on my face.

"Elliott wanted to get you a birthday present because he knows that he won't be there for it." Patrick says, referring to Elliott's death. Opening the gift, I see that it's a beautiful charm bracelet , a copy of The Ugly Duckling and my favourite candies.

"You are a beautiful swan, just like the duckling in the story. Both on the inside and the outside." Elliott says before kissing my cheek and I couldn't help but smile.