WITH YOU TILL THE END - 11

Scarlett had neared Sam's office when she heard faint sounds of Markus yelling and maybe she was aware of the reason. Momentarily, a wave of fear and tension gripped her heart as she thought. " He is really very angry. Am I ready to face him like that ?"

She contemplated the pros and cons of knocking at the door and finally settled for knocking.

A few minutes had passed when she was called in by Chloe. She slowly opened the door revealing herself to a concerned looking Chloe, stressed Sam, and Markus, who stared at her with a blank expression on his face, appearing lost. A wave of pain ambushed her heart upon witnessing him like that as she longed to make him feel better.

"What happened, Scarlett ?" Softly, Chloe asked.

"Uhm...I saw the news about the fire." She replied haltingly, her gaze flickering between Chloe and Markus before settling on him. As she observed, she noticed his expressions sour, angry creases form on his forehead, his eyes close as he reclined on the sofa, and delve into his inner turmoil.

"I contacted the managers but they told me you have already dealt with it." She continued.

"Thanks Scarlett." Sam smiled. "Stay in touch with them." She nodded.

Tension lingered in the atmosphere, and she felt it acutely. She snapped back to reality when Markus abruptly rose from his seat and, without uttering a word, walked past her and out of the office. Confusion masked her face, and she glanced at Sam and Chloe, who exchanged a worried look. They all seemed to be hiding something, but she knew she had no right to ask any questions. So, she went behind him.

As Scarlett exited the cabin, she noticed that Markus was already inside the elevater and the door was about to shut. Quickly, she called him out to wait and he responded by pressing the button to reopen the door. Scarlett hurried inside and joined him.

They stood in silence, and unlike the other days it did not bring a sense of comfort.

"Are you okay ?" Scarlett mumbled. Markus hummed, when the elevator reopened and they stepped out.

While Markus went straightaway into his office. Scarlett decided to get him a cup of coffee.

__________________________________________

She rapped at the door and waited for him to grant her entry. Minutes passed, but she got no response. She knocked a second time, still got no response. Reluctantly, she stepped inside and saw Markus, with his head resting on the table, supported by his muscular arms. She was again engulfed by intense emotions, as she moved closer to him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, willing to ease his pain.

"Are you okay ?" She spoke softly.

"I am just so tired." He replied. The way he sounded, his words could easily be equated to physical exhaustion but only a person who had spent a reasonable time with him could sense the agony behind his voice.

"I got you coffee. Have it. You'd feel better." She reassured him with a soulful smile on her face. He lifted his head and caught her eyes, feeling like a captive of her gaze, drawing him closer to her, enthralling him, like a thunderstorm.

"Thanks." He said. She smiled. Markus gestured to her to take a seat and said, "Talk to Mr.Hudson's assistant and if possible, reschedule the meeting." She was taken aback by his words. Though she had an idea of the stress he was under due to the current situation, she couldn't ignore the significance that meeting held for the company, particularly for him.

"I can certainly try but you know that there are many other companies vying for his attention. Right ?" Her words were like a sour medicine, difficult to intake but good for health. He sighed and plummeted back on his chair with his hand massaging his forehead. As she saw his expressions she immediately regretted to even care one bit about the deal over his well-being.

"Uhm...I will try to convince him. He will surely understand the situation. I am sure of it." Scarlett tried to correct her mistake. She stood up, ready to leave.

"Wait. Don't." Markus said, with profound confidence. "Prepare everything for tomorrow." Markus uttered, just as his phone rang, he pulled it out of his pocket,
'Catherine', the caller ID said. Glancing at the screen he questioned, "Alright ?"

"Okay." She replied, sadness coated her words which did not go unnoticed by him. As he lifted up his gaze his heart sank looking at her gloomy face.

"Thank you, Scarlett."

Her head snapped up in surprise to catch his oceanic eyes looking at him adoringly. She felt a flutter in her stomach under his deep stare.

"For what ?"

"For being here." He smiled, receiving a coy smile from her.

"I'll be there whenever you'll need me." She responded. He gave her subtle nod with another one of his heartful smile. Taking it as her cue to leave, she left but not before reminding him of his coffee.

As she was gone, he received a text from Catherine, which said, "I'll meet at the safe place tonight."

___________________________________________

Sun had dipped below the horizon and the glow of the streetlight overshadowed the starlight. Cold breeze caressed Markus' face as he stepped out of the car. Hey adjusted his coat and swiftly strolled inside a dimly-lit building in the shadowy corner of the city.

As Markus entered the room, the heads of Adam and Rick turned to face him. Catherine leaned back in her chair, swirling the wine glass in her hand as she remarked, "Took you so long."

"Markus removed his coat, poured himself a drink and collapsed heavily on the chair, massaging his head.

For a moment silence lingered in the air like a heavy blanket, suffocating the one underneath it.

"Sam didn't come ?" Adam questioned, breaking the silence to which Markus let out a shaky breath and answered, "He does not know, I don't even want him to."

"He would be pissed." Catherine spoke. Markus glanced at her then rose up from his seat.

"Manager of the hotel called. He told me that the safety measures were breached."

"How did the person get access ?" Rick interrupted.

"He is an insider." Markus spoke, re filling his glass by the counter. "And I need you to find him."

"Isn't police already working on it ?" Catherine asked.

"They are." Markus responded as he leaned by the counter. "But only we know the whole thing and to reach the master. I need to find the pawn first." They gave him a subtle nod.

Adam reassured him before he and Rick left. Once they were out of their site, Catherine made a move on Markus and tried to kiss him, which he denied, saying, "Stop, Cathy. No." She rolled her eyes and after she left, Markus leaned back on the counter and gulped his drink. He reminisced about Scarlett and smiled to himself.

___________________________________________

How do you like the story so far ?

Hope you liked this Chapter. If yes please vote and share your views in the comments .

Stay happy
Stay healthy
Stay tuned !!