WITH YOU TILL THE END - 25

As Scarlett regained her consciousness, her senses were assaulted by a throbbing headache, and waves of pain rippled throughout her body. She fluttered her eyelids open, only to be momentarily blinded by the waves of light, entering through the lone window. She squnited, gradually adjusting to the light.

Attempting to recollect her thoughts, she gently shook her head, hoping to shake off the lingering effect of the sedative. Yet, the result was disoriented jumble of fragmented memories.

Instinctively, she tried to move her limbs, only to realise that they were securely restrained. The cold touch of shackles against her skin were a stark reminder of her captivity.

With trepidation, she mustered courage to address the man standing before her, impeccably dressed in pristine white shirt and black pants. His raven-black hair had an uncanny resemblance to Markus', while his eyes, as dark and penetrating as an eagle, held an intensity that could pierce through her soul. A subtle beard obscured his strong jawline, adding ruggedness to his otherwise polished appearance.

"Who are you ?" She asked, her voice faltering as she blinked repeatedly, adjusting to her surroundings and gathering her thoughts.

The man dragged a chair, the screeching of the stool against the floor, added to her discomfort. The man sat across her, a sly smile forming on his lips.

"I am Brendon Sullivan." His voice was calm but nothing about it was soothing. Her brows knitted together in confusion as it was the first time that she was hearing the name.

"Why did you abduct me ?" A look of confusion passed right across his face as he thought she might be aware of him as she was close to Markus.

"Didn't he tell you about me, darling ?" He asked, gently stroking hair away from her face. She retreated from his touch, a wave of disgust passing through her. All of sudden, Brendon's mood sour, his jaws clenched. One of his men standing behind him was prepared to take action but a mere gesture from Brandon, stopped him.

A small smile appeared on his lips, as he said, "I am the one, Hayes wanted to keep you away from." Her eyes widened in shock, as if she was hit by a truck. Dread crawled the back of her spine, sending shivers throughout her body. Realising the change in her demeanor, he stood up and grabbed a glass of whisky, held out by one of his men.

"Anything you'd like, sweetheart ?" He questioned. Upon receiving no response, he gestured his man to leave and settled down infront of her again.

A sudden wave of anger pulsed through her upon seeing the man behind all the misery of Markus' infront of him and scornfully, she rebuked, "You can never defeat him. He is gonna kill you."

Brendon gave her a deadly glare and tried to touch her again but she tilted her head on the other side, "Still trust him. I see. What makes you think so ?" He leaned forward such that she could smell the alcohol smell on him, "As far as I know, he couldn't even save his family. Much to their luck, they're still alive."

With profound confidence, Scarlett smiled, "Hiding in the shadows, anyone can pretend to be brave. Step out and fight." She spat.

"If I was you, I would have kept a check on that pretty mouth. I am being a gentleman, doesn't mean, I can't kill you."

"Wouldn't I be already dead, if you wanted so ?"

"Tempting." He praised, reclining in his chair. "I see what Markus saw in you. He always had a thing for feisty women."  Brendon registered confusion on her before she quickly masked it.

"What do you know about him ? He is a loving man, unlike you" She retorted.

"Believe me, darling. I know him much more than you do." He whispered in her ears, his words sending a chilling shudder down her spine. With an eerie confidence, he walked past her, leaving her feeling helpless and unsettled. "And as for the twisted game we're about to play, I will make sure to give him a slow, painful death right before your very eyes. You will be forced to watch, utterly helpless."

His voice barely audible, but laced with a bone-chilling intensity, he leaned in closer and whispered, "And then, my dear, I will come for you."

"Why are you doing all this ?" She questioned.

"I think you'll leave this world without unfolding that mystery." With that he left and Scarlett was left alone in the dark room. Her mind raced with thoughts,

Why does it feel like he has known him in the past ? Who is he ? What is actually happeneing here ? God ! Please help us.

"Where are you, Markus. I am scared." She whispered underneath her breath as a lone tear escaped her eyes.

Don't leave me here, alone.

Meanwhile, Markus explained the situation to Sam and others, his voice laced with worry, fear and anxiety. Without telling Markus, Sam dialled a number and about half an hour later, a man with a black suitcase arrived, handing over some documents. He signed the papers and handed held them out infront of Markus. Markus' head shot up, "She is more important." Sam said.

"Go, get your girl back." Chloe encouraged, while Sam extended his hand. Markus nodded and firmly grasped Sam's hand.

Sam glanced briefly at Adam, who stood by Chloe's bedside, and they shared a knowing look.

Markus and Sam, followed closely by Rick and Miles, swiftly dashed out of the building.

"I'll go alone in my car." Markus told them. "You guys keep an eye on us." They gave him a nod and drove off.

As he drove the sole thought thatbconsumed his mind was,

I am coming for you, Scarlett." 

___________________________________________

How are you liking the story ?
Please do let me know your views in the comments below also please vote.

Stay healthy
Stay safe !!