WITH YOU TILL THE END - 24

Trepidation wrapped around them like a lion gripping its prey, ready to tear them apart, as they hurriedly approached the ICU room.

Sam's heart sank as he witnessed tears cascading down Theo's cheeks, reflecting the pain etched on his face. Chloe's posture conveyed her helplessness, as she tried to console their son, her own eyes brimming with tears.

Although it broke his heart to witness their suffering, a faint smile appeared on his lips upon seeing them awake. Markus's hand rested on his shoulder, offering silent support. Taking a deep breath, Sam slowly pushed the door open, causing their heads to turn in his direction.

As Chloe's gaze met his, a small, bittersweet smile emerged on her lips. Hot tears rolled down her cheeks as she pointed towards their crying son, Theo

"Hey buddy." Sam called, trying to mask his pain.

"It hurts so much, dad." He cried.

"I know, but do you remember what dad once told you ?" He slowly shook his head, sniffling, "No." Sam held his hand and placed a soft kiss on them, "Pain only makes you stronger. And now, you're so much stronger than before."

"Really ?" He croaked.

"Of course, man. Come on why don't you test it. Punch me." Markus assured him. Theo fisted his baby hands and playfully punched Markus on face. Markus played along and acted as if hurt a lot, getting a soft laugh out of him. Scarlett, who quietly observed it, joined Markus as they tried to divert his attention giving Sam a chance with Chloe.

"You know, you're the strongest woman that I know ? You saved our son." Chloe smiled faintly, whispering, "A kiss might help ease my pain." Sam slowly placed his lips on hers. Their hands automatically caressing each other's cheeks.

"I wish I could take all your pain away." Sam whispered. She wiped his tears, causing  him to stare straight into her eyes, "Your presence is enough for me."

He sat down next to her while they stared at their baby boy laughing with his uncle. Chloe caught Markus' eyes and by the look in his eyes, she could easily tell the turmoil within him. She gave him a soulful smile, attempting to calm him down, receiving a small one in return.

___________________________________________

The light of dawn seeped through the hallways, signalling the passing of a sleepless night. Scarlett rubbed her tired eyes; yawning, she stretched her limbs before answering her mother's call. She shared limited details about the accident, concealing the actual details and ended the call to focus on Markus, who was doing his best to make Theo laugh.

He will be an amazing father. A thought crossed her mind, widening the curve of her lips. Lost in her daydream, she was brought back to reality by Elena's voice, swirling with concern and confusion, as she rushed towards Scarlett, embracing her.

"I just found out about the accident. Are you okay ? How are they ? How did It  happen ? What is even happening here, Scarlett." Elena bombarded her with questions, her confusion evident

"Hey Ele, I am alright and they are just... fine." Scarlett replied, her gaze drifting towards Chloe and Theo, causing Elena to follow her line of sight. "How did this happen?" Elena asked, concern lacing her voice.

Scarlett exhaled deeply, reclining on the sofa, "There are some people who want to harm Markus and the people he loves."

Elena' brown knitted together in confusion, "But why ?"

A heavy sigh escaped Scarlett's lips, her mind drifted back to Markus' dark past, shrouded in darkness. Hesitantly, she confessed, "I don't know, Ele." Sensing her friend's unrest, Elena held her hand, providing all the comfort that she could.