WITH YOU TILL THE END - 14

The bustling market paired up with lively tourists, particularly those who eagerly sought mementos and gifts for their dear ones. The air was filled with chatter and laughter. Colorful stalls fenced the streets as the aroma of delicious food items, tempted the passersby.

Scarlett put on a hat, motioning for Markus to tell how it suited her. Markus elegantly flicked his wrist, conveying his admiration for her appearance.

They strolled through the market, enjoying each other's company while searching for the perfect gifts for their friends and families.

"How is it ? Scarlett questioned grabbing a tea set. "You think Chloe would like it ?" She added. Markus nodded his head in approval when their conversation was interrupted by a phone call. He excused himself to take the call.

Just as he ended the call and lifted up his gaze, he saw a muscular man dressed up in black clothing glaring at them as he approached them. Rage engulfed him, his jaw clenched and muscled tightened, he surveyed the area and spotted three other men resembling him.

In an instant, he turned, encircled her waist, surprising her and compelling her to walk with him. She couldn't ignore his protruding veins and intensity on his face.

"What happened ?" Concerned, she asked.

"Just keep walking." He stated, raising her anxiety. Markus' eyes scanned his surroundings, as they briskly moved along the pavement until he spotted an alleyway, he took a sharp turn, steering them away from the busy street.

The man signalled one of his men to follow while motioning others to surround them from other sides.

"What is going on ?" Anxious, Scarlett asked, louder than intended, just as a gunshot rang out. A scream escaped her mouth. Markus swiftly pulled her behind a car, her breathing became erratic. She bombarded him with questions, but her voice seemed to have been overshadowed by his sense of urgency.

"You can't stay hidden forever." One of the men sarcastically taunted. Markus unholstered his gun, causing her eyes to widen. Her face turned pale, as fear gripped her, rendering her speechless and unable to move.

Markus took a quick glimpse of the approaching men, gracefully dodging their gunshots and in one swift motion, he retaliated and eliminated both the threats.

He immediately turned towards Scarlett, who was in utter shock, drowned into oblivion, unable to comprehend the scene before her.

Without wasting any time, Markus gently pulled her up and guided her forward while being watchful of his surroundings.

They were in the middle of a crossroads of three intersecting alleys when he saw two men, armed with knives, coming towards them from either side. Markus took the third direction.

To their surprise, when the men reached the crossroad's third direction, they found no one. Perplexed, they moved ahead slowly and cautiously. As they were at the end of the road, Markus emerged from a door, that led to some warehouse and eliminated them with his weapon.

Exhaling a sigh of relief, he holstered his gun and approached Scarlett, who lay unconscious, curled on a mound of sacks.

His heart raced with worry, as he rushed by her side.

"Scarlett..Scarlett." He called repeatedly, caressing her cheeks but she remained unresponsive. Gently lifting her in his arms, he carried her back to the hotel.

As they entered the hotel, all eyes turned towards them, some looking at them with concern and others with suspicion. He ignored them all, solely focused on reaching his bedroom.

As soon as he reached the bedroom, he carefully laid her down on his bed, himself sitting next to her. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear as he adored her for a brief moment before retrieving a first aid box to tend to her minor wounds, the result of their recent chase.

Scarlett squirmed on the soft mattress and woke up with a headache, and her body felt as if being poked by multiple needles. Her eyelids flickered as she slowly opened her eyes, which immediately fell on Markus, asleep on a sofa. Scared, she jolted up from the bed, causing the night lamp placed at the bedside to fell and shatter, waking Markus abruptly. He rose up, watching her with concern. From the look at her face, he could clearly tell how traumatised she was.

"Don't move, Scarlett." Softly, he urged, extending his arms forward. Her body trembled, sweat masked her face and tears rolled down her eyes. He moved closer to her, forcing her to take a step back. "Scarlett, I promise I'll explain everything but please don't move." He pleaded. Despite his efforts, she tried to step back again, only to be pulled closer to his chest.

"You could've gotten hurt." He unintentionally spoke louder only for her fear to intensify. She closed her eyes and tried to break free from his hold. Markus felt a pang in his heart but he understood her reaction.

He gently caressed her cheeks, unlike other times, she tilted her head away, trying to avoid his touch. "I know you're scared, Scarlett. But I promise, I'll explain everything." He lifted her face, her teary eyes met his eyes filled with pain and sincerity, "Please, don't do this to me. Don't push me away. It breaks my heart." Fresh tears rolled down her eyes. Her brain was flooded with questions while her heart was gripped by trepedition.

"Will you hurt me ?" She asked, mustering up all the courage that she could. Her words broke his heart, "I can never even think of doing that" He firmly stated,

"But you...you killed those men."

"I had to." Slowly, he replied.

"But why ?" She further questioned.

"If I wouldn't have killed them then they would have killed us." He stated. A look of horror appeared on her face. Blood seemed to have drained from her face, leaving a pale complexion. Markus let out a deep sigh before lifting her in his arms.

Once she was slightly calmed, she wrapped her arms around his neck and hid her face against his chest, finding solace in his arms.

He carried her back to the bed and laid her down. And seated next to her, gently stroking her hair.

"Get some rest." He said.

"Why do they want to kill us ?" She asked.

"I promise you, I'll tell you everything but now is not the right time. Please get some rest." He paused. "You have had enough for now." Though she wanted to know more, but she knew that he was right and did as he told.

"Please don't leave me alone." She whispered before drifting off to sleep

"I would never." Markus responded before succumbing to sleep himself.

___________________________________________

How was this chapter ?
Did you enjoy it ?

If yes please vote and share your views in the comments .

Stay happy
Stay healthy
Stay tuned !!