Chapter 3

"I can't believe that I'm going to a Brooks Caldwell party!" Veronica shrieks, pulling at my arm. And I get her excitement. I'm usually the one jumping for joy when it comes to house parties.

Well, that is when the house doesn't belong to my enemy.

"Why aren't you on my level of excitement?" Veronica asks once she detects my indifferent demeanor.

"I am," I lie, sarcastically pumping my fist in the air. "Woo-hoo."

Veronica pouts at me as I contemplate what on earth I was thinking agreeing to this.

Jimmy Daniels, Jimmy Daniels, Jimmy Daniels, I remind myself. That's what I was thinking. And leave it to Brooks Caldwell to use my crush as bait to get me here.

I don't even know why Brooks wants me at his party to begin with when we're both equally aware of how much we despise each other.

I've tried to tolerate Brooks, trust me I have, but the asshole makes that so hard to do when he thrives on making my life miserable. I've also tried to put a finger on why he likes to infuriate me, but the best explanation that I could come up with is that it's because I don't become putty in his hands like the rest of the girls do when he merely glances at them. I'm stronger than that, thank you very much, and proud of it.

"What's his place like?" Veronica asks, bringing me back to the present moment.

"I don't know," I shrug. "Big?"

"Duh. What else?"

I've only been to Brooks' house a few times and that's because Bella practically dragged me against my will. The last time I was here was two summers ago when he threw a pool party at the beginning of August for his birthday. I hate admitting it, but I had a great time. How could one not when there's unlimited food and a live DJ?

"He has a bowling alley."

Veronica's jaw drops. "Like in his house?"

"Yup."

"Damn. Wasn't expecting you to say that."

"Yeah, I wasn't expecting to see it."

"So, not only is Brooks hot as fuck, but he's rich as fuck, too. Fabulous. My chances of landing him just got even harder."

"Veronica, if there's one thing that I can tell you for certain, it's that Brooks Caldwell doesn't fall in love. With anyone."

She keeps silent for a few seconds, looking at me with disappointing eyes. "You're breaking my heart, you know that?"

"Yeah, well, better me than him," I say and she gives me a sly expression.

"What's the look for?"

"Your and Brooks' relationship. It's cute."

I look at her, baffled. "You're kidding, right?" But she's not laughing, so I retract. "You're not kidding."

"Why would I be?"

I twist my body to look at her better. "Veronica, Brooks and I don't have a relationship. And I'd like to keep it that way, thank you very much."

"Uh-huh," she says in a way like she doesn't believe me.

"Think whatever you want, but I'm telling you the truth. The less interaction that I have with Brooks Caldwell, the better."

She blinks a few times. "You really think that I believe that?"

"You'd be stupid not to." I don't mean to criticize her, but I'm suddenly feeling defensive, and I think that she notices my sudden shift in attitude.

"Wow, I really pushed a button there, didn't I?"