Chapter 41

Brooks and his dad are out of town for the next few days on a business trip, so it's just me, Bella, and Nico hanging at Nico's pool.

"Thanks, Nic," I tell him when he hands me a glass of iced tea before taking a seat on Bella's lounge chair.

"So, ladies, what's the scoop? Fill me in," he says.

Bella brings her body forward and tilts her Ray-Bans to the tip of her nose. "Since when do you want to gossip?"

"Since Remi and Brooks started dating." Nico looks at me, pointing his thumb at Bella. "My girlfriend won't utter a word, Rem. She tells me that if I want to know the details, I've got to ask you."

"You're girlfriend's right about that," I say, leaning my body forward. "What do you want to know?"

"Hmm," Nico taps his finger to his chin, pretending like he needs to think about it. "Does he make you as happy as you make him?"

I smile, loving the fact that I make Brooks happy. "I've never been happier," I truthfully state, and Nico smiles.

"Neither has he."

"I always used to say that Brooks was a romantic. He just needed the right girl to bring it out of him," Bella chimes in.

"Yeah, and I used to be the one who always said that the words 'Brooks' and 'romantic' didn't belong in the same sentence," I chuckle.

"You doubting my boy?" Nico asks in a joking manner.

"I definitely did before this summer." I hold up a finger in the air. "But don't tell him I said that."

We all laugh and then Nico says, "He's a good guy, Rem."

"A good guy...with good taste," Bella adds on.

Hearing all these things isn't news to me. I know how amazing Brooks is. That's why I feel worse and worse about keeping what I'm keeping from him.

I know Bella hasn't told Nico about my dad, and I know that he shouldn't know before I tell Brooks, but I can't help myself. I need validation.

"Nico, can I ask you something?"

"Nope. You can't ask me anything," he teases, laughing at his own joke, until he finally turns more serious. "What is it?"

"You think it's weird? Me and Brooks being together?"

His forehead creases like he doesn't understand my question. "Weird?"

"Yeah. Like strange that two people from such different worlds are together?"

"Are you forgetting about my and Bella's love story?" he asks, gesturing between him and his girlfriend. 

"I told her the same thing!" Bella says, swatting at Nico's arm.

"No, but you and Bella are different. Everyone knew that you two were going to end up together eventually."

"Doesn't change the fact that our worlds couldn't be more opposite." He immediately turns to face Bella. "No offense, sweetie."

"None taken," she holds her hand up and smiles. 

"And you never had a doubt," I look at them both, "either of you, that your relationship could work?"

Nico shakes his head. "Why are you asking this, Rem?"

"I don't know." I pause. "I can't help but feel like Brooks and I are together only to drift apart later on."

"Is that what you want?"

"No," I shake my head. "Of course, not. But...," I hesitate, then take a deep breath in before blurting out, "I'm not going to Tulane in the fall."

"You're not what???" Nico shrieks, but Bella rubs his back, so he turns to look at her. She must give him a nudging look because his demeanor quickly shifts to something calmer.

"Yeah. I'm not going."

"Oh, uh," he falters. "Why? If you don't mind me asking."

I look down at my fingers, playing with my nailbeds. I'm so nervous.

"You promise you won't tell Brooks before I do?"

"Promise."

"My dad lost his job earlier this year, and we simply can't afford it. My mom's been working double shifts and I took on extra work at Meadows, but we're still struggling. Missing important payments. It's been...a lot."

Nico grabs onto my shoulder as Bella looks on sympathetically. "I'm so sorry, Rem. Is there anything we can do to help out?"

"Thanks, Nic. And, no, it's okay. We're hanging in there, doing the best we can. I'm hopeful that my dad will find something soon, but for now, we just gotta push through the tough times."

"Rem, if you guys need help paying things, I can help out. Brooks can help out."

"No," I contest, not meaning to come off as ungrateful even though it sounds like it. "This is exactly why I don't want to tell Brooks. I know him and the second that he hears what's been going on he's going to take on all my problems like they're his own."

"So? What's wrong with that, Rem? He cares about you."

"They're not his problems! I don't need pity, Nico. I don't want it."

"It's not pity, Rem. It's a helping hand. Two helping hands."

"I don't even need one. Look, all I'm trying to do is be crystal clear with Brooks. About my family. About my life. So that if he wants to walk away, he can. And I'll completely understand."

"He's not walking away from you, Rem, I can guarantee you that. But you gotta talk to him. Let him into your life completely. Brooks is the best confidant. He won't let you down."

"I know," I agree before segueing into a more light-hearted attitude. "Who would've thought? The rich, brooding, playboy..."

"He's still rich and brooding," Nico chuckles. "Playboy? Not so much. That all changed thanks to you."