Chapter 49

I'm in the kitchen, making a turkey sandwich, when mom walks in. I can't tell you how happy I am to see her. She's off from work today and has plans to meet up with friends for lunch.

"I thought you were meeting Bella in town for a bite," mom says when she notices me behind the counter.

"I am," I say as I cut the sandwich in half. "This isn't for me; it's for dad."

"Dad's at the office."

"I know, but he's bad about bringing lunch from home, so I thought I'd drop something off." Well, that's my excuse, at least. I'm really going over to Caldwell Publishing to speak with Brooks.

"That's so sweet of you, honey. I'm sure he'll appreciate that. Want me to give you a ride over there on my way to lunch?"

"If you don't mind."

***

My knees buckle the entire car ride to Caldwell Publishing and that's because I don't have a plan right now. I'm planless. All I know is that I need to see Brooks. That I need to make things right. I don't know how he's going to take it, though.

I could tell him that I miss him, that I want him, but there's a possibility that he'll reject me. I haven't been the easiest to deal with these last few weeks. Maybe Brooks has come to the realization that it's less complicated not to be with me.

Once I'm inside, I look around the cubicle space, trying to spot dad's desk number, but I can't find it.

"Excuse me, sir," I say, walking up to an elderly guy dressed in a suit, sitting at a cubicle, "do you know where I can find desk number 1028."

"That's not a desk number, young lady, that's an office number," he tells me like I should know better. "Walk down to the end of the hall and make the first right that you can. It'll be the second office on your left."

"Thanks," I say before following his directions.

An office space? That sounds legit.

I find room 1028, but the door's closed, so I knock.

"Come in," my dad's voice professionally speaks from the other side.

The second that I enter, my jaw drops. It's safe to say that I'm amazed at what I see. My dad's sitting behind a big marble desk with cool sculptures and office décor taking up the massive space. It's almost like he's worked here for 20 years.

"Holy shit," I blurt out before covering my mouth. "Sorry, I wasn't expecting this," I say, gesturing to the room.

"Remi, sweetheart, what are you doing here?" dad shockingly asks, immediately standing up from his swivel chair. 

I hold up the brown paper bag that's in my grip. "Thought you could use some lunch."

That's...," he pauses, "so sweet of you."

"I might've also needed an excuse to see Brooks," I admit, pressing my lips together.

"Ah," dad smiles, "now that makes more sense."

"Have you seen him?"

Dad glances at the watch on his wrist. "He should be getting ready to go on stage."

"On stage?" I ask, my eyes widening.

"Yeah. Brooks is giving a presentation at this internal workshop for CP employees about how to get started in the business."

"Wow," I exclaim.

"Yeah, it's a big deal. Jeff really believes in him."

"He's smart to. Brooks is an incredible worker."

"I can tell him that you stopped by, sweetie," dad says.

"Is the presentation taking place here?" I ask.

"Yup, downstairs in the auditorium," dad admits, but then he sees me pondering. "But honey, you can't just walk in."

"I'm not going to walk in, but I can wait for him, right?"

"Yes...," dad skeptically states. "Just...behave."

"Don't I always?" I remark, but dad's not buying it.

I gaze around his office again. "Geez, how much are they paying you?" I ask.

Dad chuckles. "Let's just say enough to not have to deal with late payment notices ever again."