Chapter 22

Before they transferred me over to the fitness center from the restaurant, I had volunteered to work the Annual Summer Gala that Meadows hosts for it members. They throw this event every summer as a way to welcome the beginning of the season, and it's a pretty spectacular event. I've never been but I've seen pictures. It's not black-tie, but it is pretty formal, and after speaking with my dad the other day, I'm more than happy that I already committed to working it. Any extra money I can make, I will.

I'm also so happy that I have Veronica as my sidekick during all this madness. I'm standing on my feet all night and dealing with people like Kelsey Abrams and Jimmy Daniels. The only part of this night that's making the work worthwhile is the fact that Brooks is here dressed in a tailored Tom Ford suit. He's been with his parents the whole night, but every so often we'll make eye contact and he'll smile at me.

If someone were to have told me 10 years ago, 1 year ago, heck 2 weeks ago, that Brooks Caldwell and I would have some sort of fling going on, I would've rolled my eyes and laughed. It's safe to say that I didn't see this one coming. And wait until I tell Bella. Wait until Brooks tells Nico.

I'll be honest, I've always been intrigued by Brooks; I mean how can one not? He's gorgeous; almost too good looking to be real, but we were always at each other's throats, which made it hard to see past his model-like looks.

But now, things have changed, almost like they were supposed to. And I'm not going to stop them from changing.

My feelings are there, and they're real. So real that they scare me sometimes because a guy like Brooks Caldwell can have anyone. I mean anyone. What do I bring to his table?

I'm at the bar fetching some couple their drinks, my back facing the party, when a hand covers my shoulder.

I turn around to find Brooks standing there; his blue eyes twinkling thanks to the lit-up atmosphere. He looks like a celebrity, I'm not kidding.

"Hi," he smiles.

The suit hugs his body like it's meant to be worn on him. His sculpted face is clean-shaven, and his light brown hair is tousled back. He smells divine, which just makes him that much hotter – if that's even possible.

But everything about him right now is just a reminder that our worlds are so different. He's designer and country clubs, and I'm none of that. I'm an employee at Meadows, that's what I am.

"Hey," I say but it comes off in a whispered tone.

"How's your night going?"

"It's...going," I say, scanning the area. "I didn't realize how many people would be here tonight."

"I know. My dad has me networking the room for work. But to be honest," he leans into me so that his mouth touches my ear, "I'm having the hardest time concentrating because this redhead waitress holds all my attention."

His words send chills down my body, and I inevitably scrunch my shoulders from his minty breath on my skin.

"She sounds distracting," I play along.

"You have no idea," he continues to whisper, only this time, more slowly.

He pulls back and I immediately want him closer to me again.

I feel people staring at me and Brooks with curiosity, so I try to keep to my professionalism. I do have to work. And I need this paycheck. I can't afford to get fired for flirting with a Meadows member.

"Can I get you anything?" I ask him, aware of everyone's eyes on us.

"Not right now," he tells me. "But later, yes."

I raise an eyebrow at him, wondering what he means.

"Promise me a dance," he continues.

"Brooks," I say, shaking my head, "we can't."

He looks at me disappointingly. "Why not?"

"Does the difference in outfits right now answer your question?" I ask, gesturing between both our bodies.

He looks down at his suit and then at my all-black uniform. "Honestly, no."

He's so serious that I pout at him.

"Brooks."

"Remi."

"I mean it," I tell him.

"So do I," he tells me, stepping closer to me. "Red, I'm dancing with you tonight whether you like it or not."

"People will see," I say, using that as an excuse.

"Great," he smiles. "I love an audience."