Chapter 37

The waiter approaches us for our orders and I let Brooks take it away.

"Thank you for doing this," I tell him once the waiter leaves. "It's nice to be away from Meadows for just a few hours."

"How's it going in the fitness center? I know that I always ask you, but I just want to make sure that you're happy there."

"It's great, but I had a situation with Jimmy yesterday." I immediately bite down on my tongue, unsure why I just voiced that out loud to Brooks.

"What do you mean 'situation'?"

I pause, then lie. "Nothing, forget I said anything."

I immediately reach for the bread that's in the basket and start buttering a piece of it, hoping that the act will distract Brooks.

"Rem, did he do something that I should know about?"

I slowly place the bread down on the small plate in front of me, then look at Brooks. "Yes, but, before I start, you have to promise me that you won't do anything that will jeopardize my work." Because, technically, I still have the job working for Jimmy.

Brooks drops the napkin from his lap and leans back on his chair, crossing his arms. "From the sound of this already, I'm not sure that I can promise anything."

"Brooks," I look at him in a begging manner, "please."

He exhales, clearly not wanting to agree, but knowing that he has to. "Fine. Now, tell me. What happened?"

I tell Brooks the whole story, and when I get to the part about Jimmy kissing me, Brooks is fuming so hard that I'm surprised he doesn't cause a scene in the restaurant.

"That motherfucker better watch his fucking back," Brooks seethes with a shake of the head.

"Brooks, you promised you wouldn't do anything," I remind him. "I can't afford to lose this job. I need the extra money."

"Remi, besides the fact that I don't want you working for that scumbag, why would you want to work for him? You can find another job. Hell, I'll find you another job."

"No, Brooks, you're not getting it. There are no other jobs at Meadows. Working for Jimmy is my only resort."

"I don't care," Brooks says, dismissing my comment. "I don't want you around him. How he speaks to you is not okay with me, and him kissing you is definitely not fucking okay with me. And you better believe that I'm going to put that asshole in his fucking place."

"Brooks, he only kissed me because he knows that I'm falling for you." The words come tumbling out of my mouth before I can stop them, and even though I'd say anything at this point to get Brooks to calm down, I mean what I say. I'm falling for him.

It doesn't even faze him, though, because he's so mad. I mean, I've never seen him this angry.

"And what about the way that he speaks to you? What's his reasoning for that?"

"Because he's an insecure asshole who gets off on talking down to those not as fortunate as him."

"Remi...," Brooks shakes his head.

"Brooks," I look at him with every ounce of energy that I have left, "please. For me, just drop this."

"No, for you, I should fucking punch some sense into his body.

"No! Brooks, that's the last thing you should do. It will jeopardize everything."

"No, Rem, it will get his dirty, disgusting ass away from you. And that's all that I want right now."

The waiter approaches us with our dishes and Brooks and I instinctively stop talking, letting him place everything down before we continue this heated conversation.

The waiter lets us know what each plate is before walking away, but it's clear that Brooks and I are probably taking the food to-go at this point.

"Do you care about me?" I ask Brooks. It's a stupid question, one that I already know the answer to, but it'll just make it easier for me to say what I need to say next.

He sucks his cheeks in. He's tense. I see it in the way his muscles appear. But then he relaxes and I feel a bit more at ease.

"More than I do anyone."

"Then you'll listen to me when I ask you to please not get involved. Don't confront Jimmy."

"Nope, sorry, no shot in hell. I won't stay quiet about this."

I reach for Brooks' hand, running out of ways to convince him to just let this go. "Brooks, I'm begging you. Please."

He breaths out and I can feel him slowly starting to give in. "Fine. I won't say anything. But only because you're asking me not to."

"Thank you," I say with an appreciative smile.

"But if that motherfucker utters one more derogatory word to you or acts inappropriately, I won't hold back."

"Trust me, babe, I won't hold back either."