Chapter 32

Brooks and I spend the entire night together, but it flies by so fast that I'm shocked my phone says 1 am.

We're sitting in Brooks' car, parked in my driveway, and I don't want to say goodnight.

"Rem, can I ask you something? You can say no if you want to, but I promised my parents that I'd ask you."

His parents?!

I push my panic to the side and smile at him, cupping his chiseled jaw with my hand. "You can ask me anything."

He smiles into my palm and then says, "My parents want to know if you want to come over for dinner Thursday night. Before you say anything, just know that it's nothing fancy. We do have a chef, but that's the extent of the formalities."

I smile at him widely, but he's nervous right now, and I don't think I'll ever not be stunned at the sight. "I would love to be there," I say.

"You would?" he asks in disbelief.

"Yeah. Why would you think otherwise?" I ask softly.

"I don't know. I guess I see how people act in front of my parents; like they feel the need to impress them or something. And I don't know why. I don't say this because I'm biased, but my parents are the kindest people you'll ever meet. My mom is the complete opposite of...," he starts snapping his fingers together, "...what's that show you love? You know the one with the housewives?"

"The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills?" I chuckle. 

"Yeah, that one. My mom is the complete opposite of those women. And my dad is the most generous man that I have ever met in my life."

"They sound incredible."

"They are," Brooks says, reaching for my hands, rubbing the fronts of it with his thumbs. "I just don't want you to feel like you need to act differently because I know that they're going to love you."

"Bella always tells me how much she admires your parents. I'm excited to meet them."

"They can't wait to meet you."

Brooks and I finally say our goodnights – mostly with our lips – and then I head for the front door.

But before I step foot inside, I text Veronica:

Me: SOS. Having dinner with Brooks' parents on Friday night at the Caldwell mansion. Need to look AMAZING. So, you know what that means? SHOPPING!!!

***

Veronica was sleeping when I knocked on her door the next morning, and I get it, it was 10 am, but I also needed to find something to wear to dinner with Brooks' parents, and I needed the whole day to do it. Because this isn't just a typical dinner. This is dinner with North Carolina royalty.

"Crap, you're a morning person," Veronica says when I stroll into her room with a very cheery smile on my face. 

"And I didn't even have my coffee yet!" I exclaim as she leans her back against the headboard.

"Well, I'm going to need one before we do anything."

"Okay, well then," I say, snapping my fingers together, "get a move on it. Chop, chop."

Veronica sneers at me, but I find it funny. I'm nervous about meeting Brooks' parents but I'm also really excited. And it means a lot to me that they want to meet me; that Brooks wants me to meet them.

I'm impressed with how fast Veronica changes and we're able to make it out of the door.

The first store that we go into has absolutely nothing that catches my eye and the second store is way over my budget, but the third store is perfect, and I end up purchasing a green silk dress that has ruching on the skirt.

Veronica and I spend the rest of our Saturday grabbing lunch and walking around town, and come nighttime, I'm so exhausted that I end up passing out at 9 pm.

Before I know it, it's Thursday night, and I'm a bundle of nerves. I give myself multiple mirror pep talks, telling myself that I got this.

I can do this.

Because, hey, I'm cool, calm and collected Remi Baker.