Chapter 4

I'm at work on my lunch break when I get a FaceTime call from Bella.

"Ahhh," I shriek when she pops up on my screen. I'm on the verge of tears. I miss my bestie.

"Remi!!!" she exclaims, her entire face glowing. I know that she's the happiest she's ever been, and that makes me so happy.

"I can't believe you're calling me right now. What time is it in Italy?"

"Almost 7 pm," she tells me. "We're about to head to dinner. Gillian made reservations at this res-", she begins to say but is cut off when Nico wraps his around arm her back.

"There he is!" I state when he comes into view.

"Hey, Rem," he smiles. Even over video, they're the hottest couple.

"Are you crying, Rem?" Bella asks when I start rubbing at my eyelids.

"I just miss you guys so much, that's all."

"How are things down in Wilmington? Holding down the fort for us, Rem?" Nico asks.

"Yeah," Bella chimes in. "How's the job at Meadows going?"

"The job's...a job; the rest is same old. And I don't know how it's possible, but Brooks managed to get even more annoying this summer." Bella and Nico laugh at the same time. "I'm serious, Nico. I don't know how you do it. The kid's getting on my last nerve."

"He told me about the cops raiding his party the other night."

"Yeah, well that's what blasting house music at 2 am will get you."

"Aw, go easy on him, Rem," Bella teases.

"Hey, I'm nothing but a sweetheart," I lie, flattening my palm under my chin in an angel-like gesture.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Bella remarks. "I know that devilish smile; you're not fooling me."

"Bella, Nico," I hear a woman's voice call out in the background, and they both turn their heads at the sound.

"Gotta go, Rem," Bella says. "Nico's mom's calling us. But we think about you all the time."

"Miss you, Rem," Nico adds on.

"Miss and love you both. Eat lots of carbs and gelato for me."

"We will," Bella chuckles before hanging up.

Even though I technically still have 7 minutes before break time is over, I get back to the restaurant to finish my shift.

I'm tightening the strap on my apron when I notice that Jimmy's seated at one of my designated tables.

I don't think I can do this.

Deep breaths in and out, I tell myself.

I can do this. I do this every day. Say hi, take down his order, serve him lunch. It couldn't be easier.

The reason why I'm so nervous is because Jimmy and I rarely interact. I couldn't even go through with asking him to the Summer Dance last year. I chickened out, which is so not like me. I'm cool, calm and collected Remi Baker. Not shy, insecure and hesitant Remi Baker. Everything worked out in the end because I went with Josh Richards instead, but that's ancient history at this point.

"Good afternoon," I say once I've stopped in front of his table.

Good afternoon? Really, Remi? Can you be any more formal?

"Oh, hey, Rem," he greets me.

Rem? Did you hear that?! He called me Rem!!

"I didn't know that you worked here," he says, which immediately kicks my excitement away. I've been at Meadows for a few weeks now, so him not noticing is a bad sign.

"Yup. Remi Baker at your service," I say with a little curtsy.

Crap, I just curtsied like he's the King of England. This is getting worse by the minute.

But his endearing laugh tells me otherwise. Maybe he finds my nervousness cute.

Well, here's hoping, at least.

"Can I get you anything to drink while you look over the menu?" I ask.

He brings his light brown eyes onto me. "I'll take an iced tea, please."

"Iced tea," I repeat, jotting down his request. "You got it." I glance at the seat across from him, curiosity piquing my interest. "Is someone joining you?"

"Yeah, he should be here any minute."

"Okay, great," I say as chipperly as possible. Maybe too chipper. "I'll give you some time to decide what you want."

I turn around to walk back to the kitchen when two hands grab ahold of my upper arms, steadying me in place.

"Woah, there," Brooks says, appearing out of nowhere.

I give him an eyeroll and then greet him, locking my jaw. "Brooks."

"Red," he greets me back.

He brushes my shoulder as he passes me, taking the seat across from Jimmy.

"What are you doing?" I can't help but ask when I watch him.

"What does it look like?" he asks, gliding his hand in the air. "I'm joining a friend for lunch."