Chapter 40

Bella's right. My closet is full of sequins. Staring inside of it, I'm reminded that this is me. Frilly, girly, Remi Baker.

I glance at my work uniform and stick my tongue out at it. Not tonight.

Tonight, I'm wearing this number, I tell myself as I reach for a rose-colored sequined short dress that's sleeveless.

I'm pairing my outfit with gold peep-toe heels, and of course, a red lip. I've decided to pull my hair up in a slicked back pony that way I can spotlight my shimmery gold hoops. I want Brooks to look at me and fall weak at the knees.

No surprise here, but Brooks won't tell me where we're going tonight, which I actually accepted but only because Nico wouldn't tell Bella either. At least we can both be clueless together. Plus, Brooks gets so excited every time he says, "it's a surprise" and his excitement makes me happy.

A lot of things about Brooks makes me happy, which is why I meant what I said to Bella earlier today.

I am happy.

***

When the doorbell rings, I know that it's Bella, so I race down the stairs and open the door. She ended up wearing the white blazer suit, which I'm so happy about because she looks stunning in it. It's very fitted, and she looks super chic. Her light brown hair is pin-straight, behind her ears, and she's wearing these chandelier-like earrings that she told me Nico had bought her when they were away.

"Look at you, Rem," she says; a beaming smile on her face; her arms wide open when she sees me.

"Um, look at YOU!" I throw the compliment right back at her.

"Mind if I take my shoes off? These heels are already bothering me," Bella says as she reaches for her feet, and I'm not surprised. The girl rarely puts on even a wedge. She loves her sneakers too much.

"Go for it," I say, and she puts them off to the side before we head upstairs.

"Which bag do you like better?" I say, holding up a sparkling gold clutch and a similar one sans the sparkles.

"Sparkles," Bella says, pointing to the accessory in my right hand. "Why do you even ask me? We both know you're going to end up with the shiny one."

Before we know it, the doorbell rings and Bella and I give each other an excited grin.

"Eeeek, they're here!" I remark.

Bella waits behind me as I get the door, opening it to find Brooks and Nico standing there looking like two models. Obviously, I only have eyes for Brooks. He holds all my attention.

Brooks is dressed in a fitted black suit with a crisp white collared shirt, the top button undone. His light brown hair is brushed back, and he smells divine. Nico's in a fitted suit as well, but it's gray.

"You look," Brooks shakes his head in amazement as he clutches his jaw with one hand, "breathtaking."

Nico and Bella have their moment, too, and both guys lend their hands out for us to take. We get into Brooks' family's black SUV and are at the restaurant within a couple of minutes.

When we turn into the parking lot, I'm surprised to find it empty. Giovanni's is always packed. So packed that it takes months to get a reservation. That is, of course, unless you know someone.

I'm looking at Bella, who appears just as confused, so we're clearly thinking the same thing. Where is everyone?

"You sure Giovanni's is opened tonight, boys?" Bella asks, but Brooks and Nico just smirk at each other. Which means that they're onto something.

Guess Bella and I are about to find out what that something is.

"Mr. Caldwell, Mr. Bradford, it's so lovely to see you both again," the skinny host greet us when we walk in. His Italian accent is super thick, but he's a pretty young guy.

"Pierre, always a pleasure," Brooks says, shaking his hand first. Then Nico does the same. 

"Please," Pierre waves us in. "Follow me."

Brooks' hand softly sits on my back as him and Nico walk me and Bella into the restaurant.

No one else is here.

Bella and I look confusingly at one another, and she shrugs her shoulders, so I turn to Brooks.

"Where is everyone?" I ask him, but before he can answer me, Pierre chimes in.

"Mr. Caldwell and Mr. Bradford requested a private dinner tonight," he explains, and I turn to Brooks again; this time, more baffled.

"You guys rented out the restaurant for us?"

Brooks purses his lips together and nods at me with a closed smile like he's so excited for my excitement. I look at Bella, who's just as stunned, and Nico's smiling at her.

I can't believe that they did this. I mean, I can. But, like, what? How? This must have cost them...no, I don't even want to know what this costed them.

Brooks and Nico pull out the cushioned chairs for us to sit on, then scoot us in and take their seats.

Four waiters come out from I don't even know where and start pouring us water from Acqua Panna glass bottles. Pierre pulls a bottle of Moët & Chandon from this silver ice bucket that's standing beside our table and starts pouring that into champagne glasses for us, too.

We don't have to order because Brooks and Nico already took care of the menu. Everything is set to be shared, so we start with 3 different salads, followed by 4 different pasta dishes the size of my head, 2 different fishes, and finally, tiramisu, cheesecake, cannoli, and gelato for dessert.

"Boys, I must say, I don't think anything will ever top this dining experience," I admit as I slice into the cheesecake.

Brooks and Nico pound their fists together and then Brooks comes into kiss me on the cheek.

"That was the point, babe," he tells me after pulling away.

"You did good, boys," Bella compliments them. "More than good."

We spend almost three hours at dinner, which was so much fun. Pierre didn't even have to bring over the check because the boys pre-paid.

Even though it's late, we decide to split up afterwards. Brooks' driver drops Nico and Bella off at his house, and then drives me and Brooks to his.

I don't know what comes over me in the car, but I start thinking about my dad and how I really need to tell Brooks about what's been going on with my family, plus how I'm not going to Tulane in the fall.

I care about Brooks. I care about our relationship. I care so much that the thought of not being completely transparent with him doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not an open book. I never was. I bottle shit in because I always have. It's how I protect myself from others seeing my vulnerability. But being with Brooks, I feel a change in me. I want to open up to him. I trust him with everything in me.

As soon as I think I'm ready to confess everything to him, my mind betrays me, convincing me that I'm weak if I show struggle. How can a cool, calm and collected Remi Baker be a struggling Remi Baker at the same time? Will Brooks want to be with me if he knows that I can't afford even half the things that his family can? Maybe he'll see that we're from two different worlds and realize that it's too complicated. That it's not worth it.

That I'm not worth it.

"Something on your mind, baby?" he asks me.

I'm chewing on my lip, which is what's probably giving him the indication that I'm in my thoughts right now.

There's so much on my mind, I want to say, but I don't know why the words won't come out. Maybe it's because I'm not used to confiding in people. Maybe my body just doesn't know how to.

I stop biting on my lip and smile at Brooks. "Just how much fun tonight was," I lie, and he believes it, smiling at me and rubbing my arm. Guilt seeps into my body, but I'm the one causing it.

Telling Brooks what's going on with my family is going to be harder than I thought.