Chapter 45

It takes two large iced coffees to get me through the workday on Thursday. I haven't been sleeping as much as I want to these days, so my energy level has been close to zero.

"Remi," Jill calls out from a few feet away, waving me over.

"Hey, Jill," I say when I make it to her.

"Four people have complained so far about the fridge not being restocked with water. Did you not do that when you came in this morning?"

I close my eyes shut, mad at myself for forgetting. "I'm sorry, I must've forgotten. The phone rang and I got distracted. I'll take care of it right now," I say, going to pass her, but she stops me with her hand.

"That's not all. I'm being asked where the towels are. I went to look in the cupboards, but they were empty."

Shit. I forgot to get them from the dryer.

"I'm on it," I tell her, but she grabs ahold of her hips and looks down at the floor, sighing.

"Remi, what's going on? This isn't like you. You're usually on your A-game. Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine," I lie. "Won't happen again."

It's safe to say that I'm a mess today. That my mind is elsewhere. But I'm human. There's only so much that I can handle, and right now, I'm at a breaking point.

***

I'm exiting the fitness center after a long day when I get a text from Bella asking me if I want to go with her and Nico to a party tonight.

The short answer is no. The long answer is no because I don't want to run into Brooks. I mean, I do, but I also miss him, and I know that seeing his face will make me change my mind about us being on a break.

I can't change my mind, though. I need the space. He needs it, too. Eventually, he'll see that I'm right. We're too different.

Bella respectfully accepts my response and tells me to text her if I change my mind.

When I get home, the house is empty, and I realize that my parents are out for the night. My Aunt Julia is in town with her husband, so they're all at dinner. I was asked to join, but I knew that I'd be wiped from work, so I politely declined. My Aunt Julia visits on a monthly basis, so I just saw her a few weeks ago.

I heat up some leftovers and take a seat on the couch, flipping the TV channel onto Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I need the alone time, but two hours go by and I'm bored out of my wits.

I think about the party tonight, and how I want to get out, I just don't know if it's the right move. Maybe I can avoid Brooks? Maybe he doesn't even want to talk to me?

I head upstairs, take a hot shower, and think about the party some more, finally deciding that I should go.

Towel wrapped around my body, I reach for the light pink sundress that's in my closet and don't think twice about it.

I'm going to this party. And that's that.

***

I was planning on asking Nico if Brooks was going to be at the party, but I didn't have to because Bella brought him up in the car ride over. Apparently, Brooks was out to dinner with Wade, so they headed straight to the party from the restaurant. 

Nico hasn't been giving me much insight into how Brooks' been, which I completely understand. It's called 'Bro Code'. Plus, Bella's been filling me in on whatever intel that she has. She claims that Brooks hasn't been super friendly these days, and I can't help but feel responsible for his change in attitude.