Chapter 34

Tonight couldn't have gone more perfectly. I felt like I belonged here and that's hugely due to the fact that the Caldwells welcomed me into their home the second that I arrived.

"Did you see the contract come in from Merriwether?" Jeff asks Brooks.

"Jeff, dear," Nicole immediately tsks. "No business talk tonight."

Nicole looks at me and smiles, but I don't want them to think that they have to filter their conversation for me.

"No, please," I say, waving my hand down.

"Nonsense, Remi, dear. My son and husband talk business 24/7." She looks at the both of them. "I think we can make it through one night without it, right, boys?"

"Fine by me," Brooks remarks enthusiastically, and Jeff smirks.

"Me too," he softly says, and then reaches for his wife's knee. "Anything my wife wants."

If Jeff Caldwell is any kind of indication of the type of husband and father Brooks will be one day, then I'm completely on board. Tonight's my first time meeting him, but I can tell that he's loving, patient, and supportive. He truly admires Nicole, and I can see where Brooks gets his affectionate side from.

Brooks was always a playboy; he always had a new girl on his arm every week, but Bella would always try and convince me that once Brooks met his match, it would be endgame for him. She would always say that he only needs to fall in love once to fall in love forever, but I never believed her...until now. Until I've seen it with my own eyes. Until I've felt it.

We spend the next hour outside when I realize that I should probably head back soon. It's really late and I still have to drive home.

"I'll take these inside," Nicole says of the dirty silverware, and I'm impressed by her humility.

"Here, let me help you," I offer, coming up to a stand.

"Uh, uh, uh," Nicole says as she inches the plates away from me. "I got it. You sit with the boys. Make sure that they behave," she winks.

I do as she says with a smile on my face, and Jeff turns his head to watch Nicole go inside before facing us.

"Okay, that gives us 2 minutes to talk business real quick," he says.

"Dad," Brooks groans, but the way Jeff says it is actually pretty funny, not at all disrespectful.

"Just 2 minutes, son."

Jeff quickly updates Brooks on a new business deal that came in, and to be honest, I don't understand a word that they say.

I can't help but admire how Brooks gets when he's in work-mode. His demeanor turns serious, composed, and commanding. His dad asks him for his opinions, and Brooks presents them confidently.

"See, son," Jeff says, clutching onto Brooks' shoulder with a proud smile on his face, "this is why I'm handing the business over to you. You're ready."

Handing the business over to Brooks? As in...now? I mean I always knew that Brooks was eventually going to replace his father as President of Caldwell Publishing, but not at 19 years old.

"We'll finish this conversation later," Jeff whispers to his son when Nicole steps out, rubbing at his shoulder with a prideful smile.

I don't want to leave, but I know that if I don't, mom will send out the Navy SEAL.

"Tonight was so lovely. Thank you both so much for welcoming me into your home," I tell Brooks' parents.

"It was our pleasure, sweetheart," Nicole says as she hugs me.

"Come over anytime," Jeff adds on when he hugs me next.

Brooks smiles, watching my embrace with his parents, and then lends his hand out for me to take.

"I'll walk you to your car," he says.

We walk hand-in-hand, stopping in front of my Volvo.

"I don't like you driving home by yourself this late at night," Brooks says with concern in his tone.

"I'll be okay," I assure him.

"You'll call me the second that you get home?"

"Maybe not the second...," I tease, but he appears bothered by my joke. "Kidding, kidding!"

He gently tugs at my hand, pulling me towards him, and then kisses me. My hands stay grappling his waist as he makes the kiss deeper.

We finally pull away from each other and I smile softly at him.

"Thank you for tonight," I tell him.

He smiles back at me, covering my hands that are on his waist with his before bringing them fully around his body. He then places his arms around my shoulders until I'm fully enveloped by him, and I have to tilt my head up to look at him considering our 7-inch height difference.

"Don't leave," he tells me, his words catching me by surprise. "Stay the night."

I can't help but chuckle. He's so cute when he's delusional. "You're funny."

"I'm serious," he says with gravity in his tone. "Stay with me tonight."

"I just met your parents; I'm not sleeping over!"

"So? They're traditional, but not that traditional."

"I can't believe that you're being serious right now."

He dips his body down to see me better. "Are you considering it?"

"No!"

"You can take a guest room if you don't want to stay in my room. You can even pick which one you want. We have 5."

"How considerate of you," I mock. "But I have to go home. My parents are waiting up for me."

Brooks looks at me intently and finally surrenders.

I circle around him to get to my car, but he stops me, reaching for my arm. "Uh, uh, uh," he calls out, and I squint my eyes at him. He doesn't say anything but repeatedly points at his cheek, indicating where he wants me to kiss him.

I smile at him and get on my tippy toes, going to peck his cheek, but he turns his head so that our lips are forced to meet instead. We share a kiss that's simple in movement but deep in feeling.

Brooks watches me step into my car, closing the door for me. I roll the window down after I strap my seatbelt on, and he comes in for another kiss.

"Don't forget," he says when we pull back from each other, "call me when you get home."