Chapter 19

One of the reasons why I love Wilmington is for its one and only movie drive-in, The Dive.

I don't even know what's playing tonight, but I don't care. When Veronica called me asking if I wanted to join her and some friends for a chill night, I didn't even think twice. I need a night out. Out of the house and away from my problems.

I texted Brooks earlier today to see what he was up to, but he weirdly didn't answer. I'm trying not to think too much about it, but the last time that I saw or spoke to him was when he dropped me home after we kissed.

It's like Veronica can read my mind when she asks, "you okay?" as we wait in line to order popcorn.

"Yeah, great," I smile.

"You're thinking about Brooks, aren't you?" she asks, and I give her a sly expression. I called Veronica the second that Brooks dropped me home after we kissed and caught her up to speed on everything.

"That a crime?" I joke.

"No, not at all. I just don't want you worrying about him."

"I'm not worrying about him. I'm worrying about why we haven't spoken. Maybe I should text him."

"It's not weird that you haven't spoken to him, Rem," she tries to assure me.

"It's not?"

"No," she shakes her head. "Who knows? He could be busy with work or out with his family, I don't know. But I'm sure that he'll reach out to you tomorrow."

I hate that my mind is so fixated on this, but Veronica's right; it's only been a day since Brooks and I have spoken. He could be busy.

I try to push him to the back of my mind while I sip on my Sprite as we head back to the lot.

Even though The Dive is a town favorite, it's more crowded than usual, and if we hadn't arrived on the earlier side, we probably wouldn't have gotten a spot.

We're almost at Veronica's car when she stops me with her hand, nodding forward. "Wait a second. Isn't that Brooks?" she asks, and my eyes follow her gaze to find him sitting next to a brunette-haired girl on the hood of a silver Lamborghini, a few other guys and girls surrounding them.

Despite the fact that we kissed, Brooks doesn't owe me anything. In fact, I should expect zero from him, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't confused right now.

That I wasn't mad.

That I wasn't hurt.

Which is why I find myself making my way towards him, needing to get to the bottom of this.

"What are you doing, Rem?" Veronica asks once she sees me move in Brooks' direction.

I turn around to face her as I walk my feet backwards. "What does it look like?"

Brooks doesn't see me coming until I stop right in front of whoever's car this is. Wouldn't be surprised if it belongs to Wade.

The second that I see him, I notice that something's different. His eyes appear a bit bloodshot and his brown hair, even though it's short, is a mess.

"Well, well, well, look who it is," he calls out once he finally processes my appearance. Brooks' tone is unrecognizable and it's not hard to notice that he's drunk.

"Hi, Brooks," I say as his friends look at me, but I don't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable.

For some reason, Brooks has been drinking tonight, and for another reason, he's been avoiding me. Maybe the two reasons are the same, who knows?