Bonus Chapter 1

*Note: This chapter takes place the first time Brooks and Remi kiss.

Brooks' POV

I'm royally fucked.

That's the best way to describe my current situation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thriving, too, but I'm in deep shit. And I can thank Remi Baker for that.

I just dropped her home from Meadows - she's walking up the stairs to the front door - and all I can think about is the way she kissed me in the fitness center an hour ago. Yeah, you read that right. She. Kissed. Me.

The kiss was incredible, hands-down the best kiss that I've ever had in my life, but it's not just that. It's the way she initiated the whole thing.

It's the hottest thing that I've ever experienced. 

Usually, girls wait for me to make the first move. They act all innocent at first, even though I know what they really want. But with Remi, that wasn't the case. What you see is what you get with her. And I've always known that about her, ever since we were little. In fact, it's why I'm so attracted to her.

There, I said it.

Brooks Caldwell, Wilmington's renowned playboy, asshole – whatever you want to call me – is under Remi Baker's spell.

And that kiss just fucked me up even more. I'm pretty fucking mesmerized right now.

I'm tempted to ring Nico's cell for advice, but I don't want to bother him when he's in Italy with his girlfriend. Plus, that would mean me having to tell him about the kiss, and the dude fucking scares me. He practically threatened my life last summer after he and Bella caught me and Remi sleeping on the couch in his movie theatre room. What does the asshole want me to say? We. Fell. Asleep. Plain and simple. That's it. I can't help where my head leans. Nico's so in love with Bella, and because Bella and Remi are best friends, that makes him protective over Remi. But I'm not trying to hurt her. I want to be around her. I've felt this way for a while now, but conceited me wouldn't let myself go there. Yet, now that I've had a taste of Remi Baker, I just want more.

No one would ever see this coming. I'm Brooks Caldwell. I don't do girlfriends. I don't do girls that are friends. I just do girls.

But Remi Baker is not someone who I can just fuck around with...not that I'd want to. I'm pretty infatuated with everything about her: her no-bullshit attitude, her sass, her confidence. Not to mention the fact that she's drop-dead gorgeous. Not your typical kind of gorgeous, though, yet stunning in her own, original way.

Fuck. This isn't good.

I tap my finger along the steering wheel as I keep my eyes focused on the road. When I make it back home, I wash up, get into bed, and grab my phone. I do a little social media scroll and land on Remi's Instagram. She doesn't post too much, but when she does, it's usually pictures of herself with Bella, scenic views, and an occasional mirror selfie here and there. I notice that her profile icon is highlighted, which means she posted a Story. I open it up to find a picture from earlier today. It's of the beach at Meadows with a sun emoji.

I'm inclined to DM her, not because I care about the picture, but because I just want to talk to her. I have her cell number, but I don't know, that might be too much too soon. I mean, we just kissed.

That kiss.

It was fucking spectacular.

I want to kiss her again.

Fuck. This isn't good. This isn't good at all.

***

The next day, my buddy Wade asks me if I want to join him and some friends at Wilmington's movie drive-in The Dive.

What I really want to do, though, is see Remi. But I push that desire to the back of my mind. I'm not going to let my heart go there right now. She has my emotions all tied up – emotions that I'm not used to – emotions that terrify the shit out of me. I've never felt this way before. I've never been so consumed by someone.

I respond back to Wade that I'll only join if we can pregame before. I know, not my finest moment, but I need something to relieve a little bit of the tension that I'm currently feeling. By no means do I believe in drinking to numb the pain, but, hey, what's one shot of tequila?

***

Well, one shot of tequila became two, two became three, and three became 8 out of nowhere. I'm pretty fucked up right now, but whatever, I'm not driving. Wade is, and he didn't touch a sip of alcohol tonight. Yes, we're all assholes – Wade being the biggest asshole – but we're not irresponsible.

We find a spot right in front of the movie screen, but I could care less. I don't even know what's playing tonight. I just needed to do something that would distract me from all things Remi Baker.

Some girl from Sherman High, whose name I forgot, has been clinging to me the whole night, but I keep reminding myself that she's just a diversion.

Just when I think I'm one step forward at forgetting about Remi, she pops into my view like I'm in a fucking dream. Shit, I didn't think she'd be at The Dive tonight.

I'm really fucked up right now, but I can see Remi perfectly clear when she makes her way towards me. Rather, stomps her way towards me.

Ah, shit, she looks pissed.

Newsflash, the last thing anyone ever wants to do is piss off Remi Baker. That girl doesn't let shit fly, and right now, I know that I'm at fault.

I'm at fault for not being a proper gentleman and picking up the phone to call her after we kissed. I'm at fault for sitting on the hood of this Lambo with some other girl practically straddling me. And I'm at fault for pretending like I don't give a fuck that she appears hurt by what she sees right now.

Her fists are clenched at her sides, which tells me she's on the verge of ripping me a new asshole. Want to know what? I deserve it. And leave it to Remi Baker to put me in my place.

Like I said, her sass is one of the many things that has me captivated. She has me wrapped around her finger and doesn't even know it, but how could she when I pull shit like this?

My friends don't know about our kiss, and I want to keep it that way. Not because I'm embarrassed by it – hell, I'd gladly flaunt kissing Remi Baker anytime, anywhere. But because they're douchebags, especially Wade. He's wanted Remi for a while now. And like fuck if he thinks that I'm going to let that shit fly.