Chapter 30

I'm working extra hard at work in the fitness center today. After talking with my dad the other day, I have more motivation now to work my ass off.

I'm wiping down the weights on the rack when a warm body comes up from behind me and plants a kiss to my cheek.

"Hi," Brooks whispers in my ear. I keep my back turned to him and he wraps his hands around my waist. "You know? Your work uniform is very sexy."

I raise an eyebrow but keep my body turned away. "Really?"

"Mhm."

"So then I guess I shouldn't wear my tight, short dress to dinner tonight?"

I hear his breath hitch. "How short we talking?"

I finally turn around to face him and wrap my hands around his neck, forgetting that I'm in a professional setting.

"Very short," I tease.

Brooks clears his throat, and a feeling of pride consumes me. I like making him speechless. It's fun.

Brooks urgently moves in for a kiss, but I don't let my lips linger for too long...as hard as that is. The gym is empty, but I know that Jill's about to walk in any minute.

"You have to go, you're distracting me," I say, playfully hitting his stomach. But he pulls my hand towards him so that my whole body is forced to move along with it.

"Good," he says once I come to a stop in front of him.

"Good?"

"Yeah, good," he smiles. "I don't want anyone else doing the job for me."

His comment, as adorable as it is, catches me off-guard. Simply because Brooks Caldwell is not the jealous type. I guess it's because he never had to be. Brooks doesn't need to compete with someone else; he is the competition, and that's standard when every girl wants you.

"You don't have to worry about that," I assure him.

"I don't?" he asks, his subtle hint of insecurity startling me, and I shake my head 'no'.

"You're the only guy that I see," I confess.

He smiles at me as the rest of his features take me in. "You're the only girl that I see."

"Really?" I ask, a hint of doubt in my tone.

He shakes his head 'yes'. And then I get on my tippy toes to meet his taller frame, kissing him again.

***

Later that day, Veronica and I coordinate our schedules so that we're able to have lunch together. We're both in the 'employees-only' room when Bella FaceTimes me.

"AHHHH!" is my immediate reaction when her face pops up on my screen.

"Hey, bestie!" she says.

"Bestie, I miss you so much," I tell her. "How is it? How's Italy?"

"Oh my God, it's so beautiful, Rem. You would fall in love with the shopping here."

"Ugh, I know. Don't tease me." I turn the camera onto Veronica. "By the way, B, this is Veronica. She went to Miller and is working at Meadows with me this summer."

"Hi!" Bella says. "I actually think we met before."

"Hey!" Veronica says back. "Yes, at the Summer Dance last year!"

"Yes! You were wearing a red dress, right?"

"Yes! I can't believe you remember."

"Bella has a fabulous memory," I chime in, moving my face towards the camera frame.

"So," Bella says, "am I going to have to just come out and ask or are you going to tell me?"

Crap. I know exactly what Bella's hinting at. I'm guilty of not telling her about me and Brooks, but that's only because I was waiting to tell her in person when she gets back from her trip next week.

I guess Brooks beat me to the punch and told Nico, which I'm actually not mad about. It shows that Brooks is just as excited as I am about this thing that we've got going on.

"B, I was going to tell you, I promise."

"Rem! I can't believe you."

"I was waiting for you to get back from your trip," I continue. "I didn't want to bombard you."

"You dating Brooks is not bombarding me. Am I right, Veronica?"

"You're right!" Veronica shouts from the background, and I give her a slight eyeroll.

"B, Brooks and I aren't dating."

"Oh my God, Rem, first you keep things from me, now you're lying!"

"I'm not lying! We haven't had the talk yet."

"Pshhh, 'the talk' is overrated. He's taking you to nice dinners and not seeing anyone else. That's dating in my book."

"How do you know he's not seeing anyone else?" I jump at the opportunity to ask.

"Are you forgetting that Brooks and Nico tell each other everything?"

Girl's got a point.

"What else did he tell Nico?" I press, and Bella grins with a pause.

"That he's happy. Really happy."

I can't help but beam. Knowing that I'm somewhat responsible for Brooks' happiness warms my heart.

"Are you?" Bella asks.

"Happy?" I ask, and she just nods.

I take a second to think about her question because it's not something that I've thought about myself.

Am I happy being with Brooks? More than happy.

Am I happy with other things going on, like my dad losing his job? No.

While Bella knows about my family's financial situation, I've kept the details as short as possible. Mainly because it's not her problem to deal with and I know Bella; she'll make it her problem and try to find a solution.

Like I said, I don't want anyone's pity. I'm going to step up to the plate, take on more responsibility, and that's that. I don't need help. I can take care of things on my own.

"Yeah," I finally admit. "I am."

She squints her eyes at me, which tells me that my tone was not as convincing as I wanted it to be.

"Rem," Veronica whispers, tapping me on my arm, "just a heads up, we've gotta get back in like 2 minutes."

"Ah, damn." I center my face back to the phone. "B, we gotta run, but I can't wait to see you next week."

"Me more! Don't forget, Nico made dinner reservations for Saturday night at that new Italian spot in town."

"Giovanni's?" I ask in disbelief, and she snaps her fingers.

"That's the one! I knew it started with a 'G'."

"How did Nico get reservations there? There's a waitlist to get in."

I realize how dumb my question is the second that it slips out. Nico has connections everywhere. Perks of being a Bradford.

"Gillian," Bella says of his mom.

"Right. She knows someone who owns the place," I mock.

"Exactly!" Bella chuckles. "Alright, I'll let you guys, go. Good speaking to you, Veronica."

I flip the camera onto Veronica. "Bye, Bella!" she waves.