(12) Vren - Edited/Revised

Vren drummed his fingers on the marbled countertop of Nathan's kitchen

Vren drummed his fingers on the marbled countertop of Nathan's kitchen. He flung a gaze over his shoulder to see if Nathan had finally made his way back.

He took a swig of his beer while he waited for him to gather what he needed to give him.

"Okay. These are going to save your life." Nathan finally came.

Vren turns around. His brows knotted together as he saw his friend with a bundle of books.

Nathan said he was going to give him something, so he dropped by. He thought that he was going to offer him some pieces of advice but... okay.

After Audrey's appointment with the doctor, he did thorough research, bought about ten books on Kindle, and even had a few hard copies on his nightstand. On top of that, Nathan has first-hand experience, so he has a walking and living resource.

He told him about Audrey. Nathan knew about the one-night stand, so he didn't candy-coat everything. Besides, he couldn't hide that big news from his best pal.

"Here. You should read this early on in the pregnancy." He patted the first bundle on the countertop. "These," he laid three bundles, "for the first, second, and third trimester." His finger firmly pointed out which books were for which stage.

Wow.

He gives his friend a ton of credit for organizing the books. He even bundled them in beautiful strings of twine.

Nathan sighed and shot him an amused smile. "When the baby comes, I'll have more books for you."

Vren sets aside his beer. "Why can't you just give all the books now? Keeping me in suspense, huh?"

He chuckled and propped an elbow on the counter. "Yes, that. And also, they're in Chassie's office."

"Oh," Vren replies. She still doesn't know about Audrey, but she will eventually.

They exchanged looks when they heard Chassie's footsteps approaching the kitchen. Nathan arched his brows. He had the look of someone who would willingly hide the books in the cupboards. Maybe stuff some in his pockets.

Vren shakes his head.

She's probably seen the newspapers anyway. Come to think of it, his siblings and parents may have seen pictures of him and Audrey in the papers, but still, no one is meddling. It just goes to show how farfetched it was that he was dating Audrey.

Nathan met his wife by the doorway. "Hi, baby. Are you done working?"

"Yep. I'm going to make some snacks." She beamed as she looked over his shoulder and met his eyes. "Vren, what a nice surprise."

"Hi. Just came by to check in on my buddy. See if he's well taken care of."

Her hands flew to her chest. "Oh, my. I'm so offended. Still salty that I've taken away the love of your life.