(36) Vren

Before you continue, please know that this book still needs a lot of fact checking because pregnancy 101 is not something I am an expert of. This means that the author of this book needs to have more research about PREGNANCY and you'll probably be questioning some farfetched information in the book. Again, I did not make some thorough research. Please know that is the first draft and will undergo minimum to drastic editing once done with "fact checking."

NO NEED TO PREACH, PLEASE.

Vren pulled up in the hospital parking lot, slamming the car door shut behind him. He was on his car for four hours. Thanks to the adamant traffic. Kylie was at the entrance of the hospital, bags on both shoulders – one was Audrey's. She was twiddling with her phone until she sees him approaching. There was relief in her smile as if she just saw an older brother coming in for a rescue. 

"Finally," she sighed, typing away in her phone. She's been updating him and he was more than grateful that her mother is out of the woods.

"How is she?"

"Her mom's out of the woods. Audrey is doing okay. She handles herself like a pro," she answers confidently.

It was true. An always polished Audrey could handle almost anything. But she wasn't a freaking machine. She might disregard that she's human most of the time, but there's not a trickling chance he would let her keep to herself now. He wanted her to need him. Almost like needing her to need him. And he's working on that.

As if Audrey was conjured from his thoughts, she appears from the glass doors of the hospital, Mark Sinclair on her heels. Her face didn't betray anything. When her eyes found him, though, her impassive composure staggered a bit.

"Hey." His arms extended to his sides and she rushed to his embrace. He holds her tight, not missing the hurt fleeting past his rival's face.

Kylie stepped in to distract Mark Sinclair. She was thanking him for volunteering to help. And he no longer have to stay because Audrey's boyfriend came to their rescue, specifically, for a ride back to the city.

Audrey nuzzled the crook of his neck.

And then Vren realized he didn't care about Mark Sinclair anymore. The threat that he might be the long lost love of the ice queen who might win her back for another shot at romance, dulled. He could see Audrey. Only Audrey. The look on her brown eyes when she saw him. The way she tore her guard down and stepped out vulnerable for him. The unhesitant display of her need to be close to him.

Vren strokes her back, whispering words of comfort to her ear. "How's your mom?"

"She's okay now." The words came out like a sigh.

"And you?"He holds her in arm's length.

Her gaze darted to her shoes.

His hand found her chin, his fingers lifting her face to meet his eyes. He wasn't giving her a choice to be alone. He's with her. And she's gonna have to bury him alive to rid of him.

She leans to his hand, closing her eyes. 

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart." He inches his face closer, kissing the center of her forehead.

Wordlessly, Audrey wraps her arms around him, leaning her head to his shoulder.

Vren pressed her closer to him. She can hold on as long as she needs to. 

He is all hers.

"She'll be okay," Audrey breathed, nodding as if she needed to hear the words herself. She stepped back, but only so she could see his face. 

"She'll be okay," he repeated.

She relaxed. Her hands clung to his suit, finding herself weak after the tension left her body. "I need to go back to her." Her expression transitioned smoothly to a brave face.

He nods.

Mark Sinclair was gone. Kylie requested she stays outside for the fresh air. She has played so many roles in Audrey's life. She was more than an assistant to her. Kylie might not know that but Vren has seen her importance to Audrey – more than in professional capacity.

Three heads turned when they hear the door creaked open. Her dad was sitting by the window, looking out. Her two aunts he recognized from her father's birthday smiled at him. Beth Danler was on the hospital fast asleep, machines expressing the vital signs of her frail body.

"I thought we told you to take some rest. We'll care for your mother."

"Aunt Mae, I can do that myself."

Her aunt Gemma shakes her head. "No. You should go home and rest. I gave you the keys to your house."

He agrees more than anyone. Audrey is emotionally and physically worn out. She needed to rest. Vren bit his tongue to keep himself from an impolite interruption.

"Besides, she will be discharged soon. We'll take turns until then." Her aunt Mae was the eldest among her aunt. And obviously held the authority.

Vren tugs on her arm, gaining her attention. "They're right."

"But Vren," she protested, trailing off when he planted a kiss on her forehead.

"She will be fine, Audrey. Let them take care of her. And let me take care of you. It's a win-win situation." He regarded her with reassurance, held her gaze for as long as necessary.

Audrey sighed. "You're not going to let me stay, are you?"

"Nope. Gonna throw you over my shoulder if I have to." He shrug. "Oh, and as gently as I could though," he winks.

She rolled her eyes, a ghost of smile on her face. "That doesn't make it less cruel than it sounds."

"Bridal style?" He bats his eyelashes at her in a quest to lighten her up.

Audrey threw her hands in the air, the anguish in her face seeping out. "Fine."

Her aunts, including her father who was seemingly miles away with his thoughts watched their exchange. Even trained their gazes on Audrey when she walked to the bed and kissed her mother goodbye before turning to them.

"We'll see you guys in the morning." He smiled to them, lingering at Audrey's dad who had his face carved into an unreadable stone. Still not a fan, he gets it. He slipped an arm over her shoulders and led her out the door.

Audrey was uncharacteristically agreeable. "Thank you for coming all the way here, Vren."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I know you have more important matters to attend to and--"

"Audrey, my girlfriend needed me.  Of course, I'll come running for her aid." He stopped in his tracks, moving in front of her. "You need me though, right?"

She rolled her eyes. "Of course, I do."

Vren tamped down a victory smile. 

Vote and comment, guys! Don't be too shy to tell me what you think. Stay safe. Love you! XOXO.