(3) Audrey

Two interns scrambled out of her way, their eyes round and alarmed

Two interns scrambled out of her way, their eyes round and alarmed. Audrey likes to think they were running errands hurriedly. And that it's not her stiff poker face that has given them the impression she was a spin-off of Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada.

She pushes through the doors of her office and marches inside in sky-high heels. She expelled a breath as she gracefully sinks behind her organized desk. Fresh out from the weekly story updates, she needed five minutes after her next meeting.

Her team has given her a brief rundown back at the conference room and she knows this month's issue is going to come together as planned. Sassy will reign the newsstands like it does every month. Audrey can't possibly take the credit to the magazine's success though.

It's not her.

It's the amazing, independent women in her floor. So far, her Relationships department is Sassy's pride. Aimee, Alexis, Violet and Julie (her new columnist) are the darlings of the magazine.

Kylie enters her office, disrupting her thoughts. "Here's your coffee." She laid the to-go cup on her desk.

She murmured her thanks and sipped on her coffee, hoping caffeine will dissipate the remains of her hangover. It's been a long time since she'd been the staggering kind of drunk. She felt hungover even when her walk of shame was supposed to be one day ago.

Kylie stares at her wide-eyed, cheeks flushed.

She shot her a questioning look.

Her assistant smiles awkwardly and gesture at her neck. "You might want to adjust your turtleneck. I can see a little, um," she trails off.

Audrey tugged at the collar of her turtleneck dress. Not only was she left with drunken memories. She had love marks too.

"And Audrey, there's a man in the lobby," Kylie says quietly.

Her brow arched. "Let security usher him out." She turns to her computer.

Kylie fiddled uncomfortably. "It's Vren Parkinson. He specifically asked to see you. Right now."

Audrey almost choked on her coffee. She fisted her hand and place it over her mouth to stop an embarrassing cough. "Tell him to leave."

"I did. He said it's an emergency. He kind of needs to talk to you."

She narrows her eyes on her assistant. "Tell him I'm not available."

"I already told him that." Her hand went behind her head as she fidgets with her purple hairscarf.

Audrey felt a cold breeze wrapping her in a spiral of anxiety. She had fuzzy recollections of the guy in the hotel room she so hastily fled from. They were blurry.

Fine by her.

Vague means forgettable. Harmless and blurry. And she needed to forget them all. Yes, utterly doable on her part.