FORTY-TWO

— 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧 —

𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME," Cassiopeia muttered as the potions master stepped forward.

"I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," he said, throwing a cloak he was holding aside. Cassiopeia guessed it was the same invisibility cloak Harry used to prank her brother at Hogsmeade. "Very useful, Potter, I thank you..."

Snape's lips curled at the sight of Black, his face full of suppressed triumph. "You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here? I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along. And very lucky I did... lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you running along this passageway and out of sight," he explained.

He then turned his wand to Black. "Vengence is sweet — how I hoped I'd be the one to catch you."

"Severus—" Lupin tried but Snape cut him off.

"I told Dumbledore you were helping an old friend into the castle and now — here's the proof!"

"Brilliant Snape!" Black said mockingly. "Once again you put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and as usually come to the wrong conclusion! Now if you excuse us, Remus and I have some unfinished business to attend to!"

Black started towards Snape, but the latter pointed his wand right into Black's neck. "Give me a reason. I beg you," he spat.

"Severus, don't be a fool," advised Lupin.

"He can't help it, it's habit by now!" Black interrupted.

"Sirius, be quiet!"

"Oh, quiet yourself, Remus!"

"Look at you two — quarrelling like an old married couple," Snape remarked spitefully.

"Why don't you run along and play with your chemistry set!"

Snape pressed his wand even harder. "I could do it you know — why deny the dementors? They're so longing to see you," Snape drawled. What little colour Black had in his face had quickly left.

"You — you've got to hear me out," he croaked. "The rat — look at the rat—"

But Cassie could see the look on Snape's face. He was far beyond reason. She knew if they didn't do anything, Black (and possibly even Professor Lupin) would receive the dementor's kiss.

She needed to do something. Lupin hadn't finished telling his tale and if it was true, then the man responsible for the Potters's murder would go unpunished and would probably sleep comfortably beside Ron for the rest of his life.