FORTY-FOUR

— 𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞  —

𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

CASSIOPEIA'S EYES FLUTTERED OPEN, revealing an unexpected bright light shining into her eyes, causing her to wince slightly. Then the back of her head started to sting.

She felt herself in unfamiliar surroundings. She was on a bed yet this was certainly not the Gryffindor girls' dormitory. Raising her hand to her head, she felt bandages wrapped all around it. She sat up quickly, not noticing the head resting on her lap.

Draco woke up abruptly thanks to his sister's sudden movement. "Draco? W-what are we doing here? Where are we?" Cassie asked him faintly, still clutching her throbbing head.

"Do you not remember?" he asked, concerned. Cassiopeia shook her head. Draco let out a sigh, slumping into his seat. "Madam Pomfrey said you might have memory loss thanks to your concussion."

"Concussion?" Cassiopeia repeated weakly. She looked around, taking in the rows of beds and privacy screens. "Are we in the hospital wing?" Draco nodded. "But — what happened?"

"I thought you'd tell me that. You woke up yesterday but Madam Pomfrey had to tend to you so I couldn't talk to you. I suppose you don't remember that either?"

"No..." she drifted off, trying to remember what had happened. "I was in the forest... Buckbeak was getting executed — I know that. I just wanted to stop it, then..."

"Then what?" Draco urged, frowning.

"Just give me a second. We were in the Shrieking Shack, it was a full moon and—!" her eyes widened as she slowly remembered what had happened. "It was Pettigrew! He caught me off guard and knocked me out!"

He stared blankly at her, rubbing the sides of his temple. "She said you might act delirious as well."

"I'm not delirious! I swear it — it was Pettigrew!" she said sharply.

"Look," Draco began, looking around to see if anyone was listening, even though no one was around, then moved closer to her. "Father sent me an owl. He was told by Fudge and Snape about what happened three days ago—"

"Three days—?"

"Shut up and listen. They both said you, Potter, Weasel and that mudblood went to the Shrieking Shack. Saw Sirius Black. Confunded the four of you and knocked you out—"

"He didn't confund us!"

"What part of listen don't you understand?" he hissed. "Snape caught Black after that and they put him in the tower. Fudge says neither of you could've done it but Snape reckons Potter helped him and that dumb hippogriff escape. Now father is furious. He thinks you helped both of them out. Care to explain?"