FIFTY-FOUR

— 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐬  —

𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐬

' *•.¸.•** . **•.¸.•*'

"POTTER! WEALSEY! WILL YOU PAY ATTENTION?" yelled an irritated Professor McGonagall, making Cassiopeia snap out of her drowsiness.

It was nearing the end of their afternoon Transfiguration lesson and Cassie was counting the minutes for the bell to ring. She turned to see the two boys at the back of the classroom fighting with fake wands which had now turned into a tin parrot and a rubber haddock.

"Now Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age, I have something to say to you all. The Yule Ball is approaching — a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will only be open to fourth-years and above — although you may invite a younger student if you wish—!"

Lavender let out a shrill giggle and Parvati nudged her in the ribs, too trying not to giggle as they both looked around at Harry. Cassiopeia rolled her eyes, turning back to their Professor who ignored them, leaning her head on her hand.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight. Now then — the Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to — er — let our hair down," she said in a disappoving voice.

Lavender giggled harder than ever, pressing her hand against her mouth to stifle the sound. It was hard to picture McGonagall with her hair down as it was always in a tight bun, looking as if it had never been let down in her life.

"But that does NOT mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell finally rang, and everyone shuffled to pack their bags and leave the room.

Within the next week, all everyone could talk about was the Yule Ball. It seemed everyone in fourth year and above put their names down to stay at home for Christmas. All the girls were obsessed with the thought of a ball, giggling and whispering in the corridors as boys passed them.

Cassiopeia had to deal with the rather unpleasant experience of being alone with Lavender and Parvati in the dormitory, forced into a conversation about boys and dresses for over an hour. She had only managed to escape after insisting she needed to see Draco urgently, rushing out of the common room as soon as she closed the door.

A handful of boys had asked Cassiopeia to the ball, ranging from a second-year Ravenclaw to some of the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons boys. "You can't just turn down every boy that asks you by saying you already have a date," said Cedric as she just rejected a fifth-year Gryffindor named Cormac.