Chapter 11: The Funeral (1)

---

"The world isn't perfect. But it's there for us, doing the best it can....that's what makes it so damn beautiful."

– Roy Mustang, (Full Metal Alchemist)

---

"Are you sure you want to do this, young master?" Alfred asked as he fixed Bruce's tie on his new tuxedo.

"Yes Alfred, I am sure. We need to make a public statement showing that the Wayne family is still going strong and this funeral is the best way to do that. It will help me in both paying respect to my parents as well as using this opportunity to tell the world that the Wayne line hasn't ended yet." Bruce said as he looked at his reflection in the mirror.

He looked cuter than even the most famous child actors, probably an effect of the body belonging to one of the most important and central characters in DC.

"I see. By the way, you look good. I think your parents would be really happy seeing you in that suit today, after all, you always hated wearing suits." Alfred said with a small smirk on his face.

"Thanks, Alfred. Let's go, I don't want to be late for my own parents' funeral." Bruce said as his butler just sighed and followed behind him.

Selina also joined them in the living room. She was wearing a plain black dress, looking like a grieving princess.

"Are you alright Bruce?" She asked worried about her friend.

"Yeah, I am alright." Bruce gave her a small smile to ease her worries. He could not tell her that he was not at all affected by the death of Bruce Wayne's parents, so he had to act a little to keep everyone's suspicion off him. A constant stoic look was doing wonders in that regard.

The trio went to the part of the manor grounds that was hosting the funeral and saw that there were many guests already there as well as some reporters under disguise.

Bruce and Alfred readied themselves for the conversations, favors, and questions they would have to face from everyone here. Selina although had little idea of the importance of this funeral was still warned by Bruce and Alfred beforehand to stay close to them at all times and to only respond to people after thinking carefully while not revealing anything sensitive about their family like Bruce's secret cave or his inventions.

Bruce was approached by many people at the funeral to tell him how sorry they were for his loss, how much of a good relationship they had with his parents, and how much they would love to help him if he ever needed it.

Most were just trying to establish good relations with him, some even trying to get him to sell some of his companies or properties to them or pitch him their business ideas and try to get investment from him.

Some looked genuinely sorry for him but those were a minority who could be counted in a single hand. Most were just sharks, who had come here to try their luck to get a piece of him.

About twenty minutes into the funeral, he had almost gone crazy with the number of people trying to somehow lynch some benefit from him.

The announcement of the officiant for Bruce to say some words in the memory of his parents was the only thing that gave him some temporary relief from the headache that Bruce was getting.

He went to the stage and gave a very good speech in his parents' memory, a speech that was written by a professional writer commissioned by Alfred. After giving the speech and shedding some tears which Bruce brought to his eyes thinking about his dead dog in his last life, he was again approached by a volley of people expressing how sorry they were with tears in their eyes, tears which were as genuine as his own.