Chapter 14-The Preliminaries

Shanna POV

I stood behind Kankuro and Temari as Grandpa Hokage and another dude explained the preliminaries. I was really tired, so all I got out of it was that we were gonna fight one on one to advance. After the explanation, we were allowed to watch the matches. Once we walked up the stairs to the upper floor, we waited for the first match. Baki-sensei appeared behind us and was going to stay for the rest of the preliminaries. Sasuke got picked to fight the first battle against another Leaf Village person. I felt really tired from the Curse Mark since it kept sucking up all my chakra to contain it. I sat down in front of Baki-sensei, and he stared down at me.

"Can I take a nap against your legs?" I asked him.

"You have to pay attention to the matches, Shanna," He said back.

"Come on, please?" I pleaded.

He sighed before conceding and letting me lean against his legs. As I did so, I closed my eyes and took a nap.

Baki POV

I looked down at Shanna while she slept. Why is she so different from the Sand Siblings? Perhaps it's because she lived in the Leaf Village. She's too soft for this world. There's no telling what'll happen to her if she doesn't toughen up. She started leaning to the side and was going to hit the ground. I sighed before moving one leg forward so her head rested on my thigh.

"Looks like Baki's turning a little soft," I heard Kankuro say teasingly.

"I'd shut your mouth if I were you," I said, swatting the back of his head.

Come on, Baki, pull yourself together, I thought to myself. You can't go soft on her, I turned my attention back to the match, which Sasuke Uchiha had won. He'll be a tough opponent if he faces Gaara.

Kankuro POV

Man, Baki sure is taking a liking to Shanna. He's never harsh towards her, as far as I can tell, and he's even letting her sleep. What's up with him? He never let me sleep during important things like this. I turned back to the board, where it was my turn to go. Alright, it's about time.

《○~●🐉●~○》

Gaara POV

I glanced over at Shanna, who was fast asleep against Baki's legs. I narrowed my eyes as I saw something on her neck. Slowly, I used my sand to push part of her shirt away from her neck, revealing three tomoe interlocked in a circle. What is that? I thought, continuing to stare at it. Baki didn't seem to notice it, but if he did, he didn't make it obvious. After a moment, I put her shirt back and retracted my sand. I needed to know what that thing was and why Shanna had it.

Shanna POV

I felt something nudging my ribs, and waking up, it was Baki-sensei.

"Wake up, the preliminaries are done," Baki-sensei said.

"But I didn't even fight," I said, standing up.

"They gave you a freebie this time, which is strange," He said.

Well, I didn't have to fight, and my opponents don't know my jutsus, I say that's a win-win situation.

Results of Chunin Exams:

Winners=Dosu, Gaara, Shanna, Naruto, Sasuke, Shikamaru, Shino, Neji, Temari, and Sasuke.

Everyone drew a number that revealed who'd they would be fighting. I got picked to fight this Dosu dude. Gaara got Sasuke. This would be fun. I peeked over and saw that Temari would be fighting Shikamaru. Suddenly, Kakashi-sensei approached me.

"We need to seal that Curse Mark of yours," He said quietly.

Hello, my hatchlings. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Goodness knows how much of this story I'm changing from the original. Anyway, stay happy and healthy, my beautiful hatchlings.