Chapter 34

Being seated on the jutted bed in the verandah, Sheetal stared expectantly at her son who despite being there, his hand busy fixing the mixy grinder, stayed aloof and determined not to listen to any explanation she has regarding the subject of Manav.

It's been two days since they returned from their honeymoon.

Although things were sorted between Manik and Nandini, the same cannot be said for the mother-son duo.

Manik was adamant about not having any excuse for his mother's doing, as for him, he doesn't find his mother's doing justified.

"I was thinking to make some fried okras for dinner. It's your favourite, isn't it?" Sheetal proposed expectantly, her eyes seeking her son's attention, who despite hearing stayed fastening the screws of the grinder a bit stoutly.

Nandini, who stepped out of the kitchen with okras and knife to cut, stared between the mother-son slightly agitated, her lips pressed thin with her man's indifference before she made a look at the dismal face of her mother-in-law.

"Or I can make some for your lunchbox if you are going to the office?" Peering at her son, her eyes crinkling scarcely at the unresponsiveness of her son, Sheetal's breath weaved as soon Manik got up from his place.

"Here, I have repaired it. See if it works for now." Jutting his chin to grinder, still negligible to his mother's saddened approach, Manik turned his gaze to nowhere particular as he informed "I'll go get ready as I have a meeting scheduled around 2, so don't bother for my lunch."

Staring at his back walking to the staircase, Sheetal felt her eyes sting as she turned her gaze down at her hand which was cutting okras for him "What should I do? He is not talking at all."

"He had trouble sleeping this past few days, Maa." Taking the knife from her, Nandini mumbled, her mind recalling the night after their anniversary when he had a nightmare of something bad happening to his family who he left behind in Varanasi whilst the malicious reappearance of Manav.

Sheetal though apologetic, felt her heart drop at the lowest coming to know about her son's condition.

"Maa, it's not like he doesn't understand your fear or your concern of not seeing him hurt. He does, but not at the cost of your or his loved one's safety." Sparing her mother-in-law her attention, her gaze empathetic, Nandini sighed "I understood it gradually, but being his mother, he expected you to understand him a bit early because you have seen and been with him at his lowest."

"I know I have unintentionally caused him trouble, but beta can he not avoid me as if I don't exist for him." Voice cracking, Sheetal sniffed for Nandini to soften up sympathetically as she reach out to hold Sheetal's hand "With Meera's rebellion and now Manik's withdrawal, I feel so vulnerable within that I can't-"

"Maa!" Standing on her feet and rounding behind her, Nandini engulfs her mother-in-law in a warm hug as she consoles "Everything is going to fall into place. I promise. Have faith in lord Shiva."

While fastening the watch, his gaze zoned to the little peek of his mother Ganges while recalling the gloominess of his own mother's eyes, a knock on the door snapped his trance "Bhaiya, your tea."

Ever since returning from their honeymoon, Manik avoided any sort of interaction with his sister.

Although Meera tried getting to talk to him, being thoroughly disturbed within, he didn't want to let his suppressed anger vent on her despite being on no-talking terms with her.

Keeping the cup of tea on the table, her eyes discreet at her brother, a defeated sigh hushed out her mouth as she straighten up towards him "I scored 47 in statistics and 45 in financial accounting, both out of 50."