Epilogue

The tinkling of Nandini's anklet reverberated down the corridor of the Malhotras, her hurried steps betraying a sense of urgency.

Her bangles clinked as her hand reached up to tame her tousled strands, her eyes darting around in curiosity and mild anxiety.

He had been by her side just a few moments ago. Now, he seemed to have vanished into thin air.

Nandini meandered through the corridor until she reached the door of the artistry room.

The door was slightly ajar, and she hesitated for a moment before pushing it open.

What she saw inside made her gasp, her pink lips forming a perfect 'O'.

"Shiva!"

There stood Shlok amidst a riot of colors-paint tubes scattered, canvases askew, and a toppled portrait on the floor. Shlok himself was a canvas of yellow and blue, a plastic ball clutched in his tiny hand.

He grinned sheepishly at Nandini, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "He-hee!"

Nandini's expression shifted from surprise to a mixture of amusement and concern. Her saree's pallu was neatly tucked around her waist as she took in the chaotic scene.

Gleeing enthusiastically, Shlok pointed at the portrait on the floor "Look, Nanhi! I made it better."

Nandini sighed, her brows furrowing slightly in conflict as she inspected the ruined artwork "Shlok, this doesn't look better. It's completely different from what it was."

A hint of disappointment flashed in Shlok's eyes, but he quickly recovered. "I'll help you fix it, Nanhi!"

"Uh, never mind, sweetie." Nandini smiled and ushered the little guy close as she brushed off some paint from his nose by her pallu "Go and clean up. I'll meanwhile look into this."

As Nandini attempted to salvage the painting, mixing colours and making tentative strokes, she couldn't help but worry about the mess they had created. "I hope he doesn't mind this," she murmured to herself.

"Nanhi," Shlok's voice interrupted her concentration.

Nandini turned to see Shlok standing at the door, his expression a mix of excitement and apprehension. "Is it done?"

Smiling at his eagerness, Nandini motioned for him to come in. "Yes, come in, sweetie. But leave the ball outside."

Shlok obeyed, leaving his plastic ball outside the room before carefully stepping in, his eyes wide with curiosity and a hint of mischief.

Nandini looked at the painting again, her doubts resurfacing. "What do you think, Shlok?"

Shlok inspected the painting for a moment before stating matter-of-factly, "You're a bad painter, Nanhi."

Nandini's jaw dropped at his blunt assessment, but she quickly recovered, ruffling his hair affectionately. "Well, I guess I am. But you don't have to be so direct about it."

Shlok pouted playfully scooting away upon his hair being played with "I'm just telling the truth."

Nandini chuckled softly before glancing back at the painting. "We might have to wait and see what your 'old man' thinks about our artistic endeavours."