Chapter 1

D I S C L A I M E R•

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

_______________________

"I'm rejecting this gauna." Came Manik's declaration leaving the entire family of Sharma's smile to cease.

Peeking out of the door of the kitchen, Nandini pressed her lips thin and stare her man dead before hearing her grandfather Omprakash ask "What is it? Is there any problem, Manik?"

"Problem?" Scoffing shortly, Manik flared his nose in annoyance "There is only one problem here. And that is this gauna."

"Manik!" Whispered gritted Sheetal from beside him "What are you saying?"

Passing his mother a glance, Manik shrugged his head "I'm saying I'm rejecting the gauna-"

"-We all heard that part, Malhotra." Interrupted Aloke, a stern crease appearing on his forehead "What we want to know is the reason."

Staring straight off at Aloke, Manik reclined back, his arms clasped before his chest together before he answered, his voice as cold as ice "The reason is the goddamned rituals and custom, which you all know I don't practice. And to let you guys know, my patience is already wearing thin. So god help, if I loose my calm, I'm going to abduct and elope taking my wife with me."

Eased and relieved, Omprakash shook his head fixing his specs over his nose looking back into the horoscope in his hand, whereas Neelam concealed her smile and Aloke released a sigh of small grunt.

Earning a eye roll from his mother, Manik felt Sheetal slap his arm "Don't even think of that or I will be tempted to shackle you in your room until the day of the gauna."

"Try me." He responded shortly, his tone void of mirth indicating how serious was he about his word, as getting up on his feet he looked at everyone before craning his head to his girl who was watching him the entire time from the door of kitchen.

Exchanging a wordless gesture, Manik silently left the house leaving the other in the veranda ponder if he was really serious or was he just messing around.

"Don't bother about him." Sheetal smiled reluctantly seeing how quieten the atmosphere has turned "He was most probably kidding."

"That's exactly what the issue is, aunty." Aloke griped "Nobody has ever understood what is going on in his mind." Where later his eyes shifted toward his sister who was sneaking out of the house from the back door, which made him to tug his lips into a concealed grin.

They are two hopeless soul in love.

Propping her steps through the boats lined up together at the dock of the Dashashwamedhedh ghat, Nandini pursed her lips to stifle the pur out her mouth when she found him, his body and muscle reflexing then and now with him unfastening the rope tied to the rowboat.

Her inner self only knows how she have longed for him throughout the years. But now that she have him by his side, the rituals and customs were binding them back.

Stiffening and faltering, Manik looked over his shoulder "If you are going to side them and their pathetic beliefs than you will be trying in vain."