11. Successfully Escaped

Dark. I saw only dark and deep woods when I looked around. But I didn't stop. I ran kilometer after kilometer on my bare feet over the raw path in the jungle, in the middle of the night.

Every step felt like it was the last step of my life. Only moonlight was showering the raw path. I was so afraid of jungle creatures. Though I hadn't heard about any tiger or bear in this jungle but that doesn't mean it was safe. What if some wild creatures attack on me. Though I finally got out of Nicolas's house, but some wild creature could easily eat me and nobody would ever find me.

Was it a bad decision to escape, I thought again and again.

My mouth was dry, my legs felt numb and my full body was aching and burning. But I had to run. I had to escape from this hell.

I didn't know how long I was running in the scary forest alone. Fear and loneliness were engulfing me, tears rolling down incessantly at the same time.

But then, I found the lights of hope.

A large smile appeared on my lips and I cried in victory when I saw the main road of the town came into view. In the meantime the darkness started fading away as the yellow glow started appearing on the east horizon.

I laughed and stepped on the road while tears rolling down on my cheeks.

A yellow cab stopped in front of me as I gasped in fear. I was crying hard so I didn't notice it was coming.

"Are you alright, child?" An old cab driver asked but was shocked seeing me in that state.

I was totally messed up and my feet were bleeding as I fell several times while running. My face was burning for crying hour after hour.

I scanned him for a few moments and thought he was no harm. He seemed honest and a normal old cab driver.

"Please can you drive me to the third block, road no. 5 and house no. 15? I have no money right now but I'll pay you getting at that house." I sobbed and wipped my eyes with the back of my palm.

"Don't worry about money, child. Get in, I'll drive you home safely." He assured me and gave me a soft smile.

As soon as I got into the car, he started the engine. I sighed in relief and looked outside.

"What happened to you, dear? What were you doing beside the forest this early?"

"It's a long story. I was kidnapped and then I escaped."

"Oh my god, you've to go to the police station right now!" He panicked.

"I'm officer Jacob Hernandez's neighbor. And I'm heading to his home. Please drive quickly."

"Wait. You're the girl who was kidnapped a few days ago and so her family. Police arrived at your house that night and found blood everywhere in the kitchen. But they still have no clue about that kidnapping incident."

"Yes. I'm that girl." I whispered in a broken tone.

"Don't cry, my child. We're almost there. I'm Michael. What's your name?"

"Natalia."

"Nice name, Natalia." He smiled.

Fifteen minutes passed by as he reassured and comforted me. I appreciated his concern about me as he seemed a very caring and honest man.

Apparently I was lucky because at that time it was totally unexpected to get a cab on that road. He was getting back to work by that road and saw me there.

I got out of the cab when it stopped in front of uncle Jacob's house. I looked at my once home sweet home that was now sealed by the police department. Everything was quite and gloomy in our street.