Chapter 8: For what it's worth.

We sat quietly in the car, and for now, I'll just shrug it off as a coincidence. If things like this were to happen again, maybe I was right. Hypothetically, if he knows where we are, how does he do it? A chip, perhaps? I'll look into this and make sure to be alert.

After a while, we reached our destination. After resting, we were escorted into the infirmary. There we met Dr. Suting and some other people wearing lab coats.

"Don't worry, you don't need to do much, just cooperate," Dr. Suting said. He approached me and gestured to the bed, and I sat down.

I crossed my arms and asked, "Dr. Suting, please tell me what you're about to do to me before you continue."

"As careful as ever, smart. I like it," he said, winking at me, making my skin crawl. Wait, did he say "as ever"? It's not like we had met before.

"Don't worry; I'll just examine you for reference. Then I'll make you go through the normal teaching style for a semester, and after that, I'll put you through a new system carefully crafted by pedagogists and psychologists. They will address the problems you come across and try to find a solution," he explained.

"If so, might I ask why did you invite only three students? Right now, there are only two of us. Don't you need more people?" I asked. His playful nature suddenly shifted into seriousness, and then he smiled at me, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. His smile reminded me of someone's.

"That's because the three of you are the only ones that met the most important criteria," he said, leaving me curious about what this criteria was.

"Important criteria? What is it?" I wanted to ask, but the look on his face told me that he wasn't going to answer.

"Dr., what happened to the third student?" I asked, concerned.

"I'm sorry, but I too don't know. I've left it in the hands of the authorities. The only thing we can do is pray that we find her. I'm trying my best," he said.

I looked at Luka, who, as always, looked depressed as a doctor examined him.

"Let's stop with the chit chat. Let's get started," Dr. Suting said, focusing on the task at hand.

As Dr. Suting continued with my medical examination, checking my blood pressure, pulse, and searching for any underlying medical conditions, he took out a torch and flashed it in my eyes.

"Your eyes, did someone make any comments on them?" he asked.

"Come to think of it, no. I almost forgot about them myself," I replied.

For some reason, he looked annoyed.

"Those eyes don't look good on you; I like your own eyes better," he remarked. It struck a nerve, but I held back any retort.

"How do you know what my real eye color is, that you like them better?" I asked cautiously.

"According to statistics, you are more likely to have brown eyes. But regardless of what your eye color may be, I'll like it way better," he said. After assessing me, he pinched my nose and smiled.

Then, he took out a needle. "This might hurt, my dear. I recommend you turn that way," he advised.

"What are you going to do with that needle?" I asked.

"Draw your blood; I'll need to run tests," he explained.

I sighed and turned as he instructed. I felt a small prick on my arm, and when I turned back, to my surprise, he was still holding the needle, making sure there was no air in it. What was that? My imagination, perhaps? I examined my arm, but there was nothing there.