Chapter 20: confusion

As the week passed, Luka remained withdrawn, his quiet demeanor becoming even more pronounced. Even if he no longer lock himself in his room , he seemed to retreat further into himself, lost in thoughts and emotions he couldn't articulate.

I didn't dwell too much on his behavior. I wasn't one to pry into other people's lives, and frankly, I had my own concerns to deal with. With exams looming ahead, I needed to focus on my studies.

One Sunday afternoon, as I sat in my room buried in textbooks, my phone suddenly rang. It was Dr. Suting calling.

"Hello?" I answered, somewhat surprised by the unexpected call.

"My beloved, I know I promised to give you a break from work, but I find myself in a difficult position. Could you come by? I promise it won't take too long," he said, his voice tinged with urgency.

Work? What was he talking about? I couldn't recall any prior arrangements with Dr. Suting.

"Are you joking?" I asked, feeling perplexed by his request.

"Joking? What's there to joke about? Last week, you didn't come to work, and I missed you terribly. But I held myself back. However, I really need your help now," he explained earnestly.

"Okay," I relented, unsure of what else to say in response to his plea.

Before I knew it, Dr. Suting arrived to pick me up, his presence a mix of concern and determination. Despite the confusion swirling in my mind, it would seem suspicious if I declined, I found myself agreeing to accompany him.

Despite my confusion, I decided to go along with the flow. Why couldn't I remember working with him? It was a puzzling thought, but one I set aside for the moment.

We arrived at Dr. Suting's house, where he led me to his office. A large stack of papers awaited us on the table, a daunting sight that hinted at the magnitude of the task ahead.

"It won't take long," he assured me, though the sheer volume of paperwork suggested otherwise. I sighed, resigning myself to a long day of work. As I scanned the room, my eyes landed on a large glass display covered with a cloth. I remembered seeing it before—it contained a life-size doll, its head covered with a cloth.

Curiosity piqued, I approached the display case, intent on uncovering its contents. However, before I could reach it, I felt someone's arms wrap around me from behind.

As Dr. Suting rested his head on my shoulders, a wave of discomfort washed over me. " I miss you so much it felt like I'm going crazy." He said, Dr. Suting had always been peculiar, but this behavior was a whole new level of strange. Was he drunk? High on something?

"Dr. Suting, what are you doing?" I asked, attempting to gently wriggle out of his embrace. The sensation of his head against my shoulder sent shivers down my spine. Had this guy ever heard of consent?

After what felt like an eternity, he finally released me. "I'm sorry," he apologized, his voice tinged with remorse. "I shouldn't have done that without your permission."

I quickly distanced myself, taking a seat in the chair opposite him. The atmosphere in the room felt suffocating, and I struggled to maintain my composure.

"What exactly do you need my help with?" I inquired, eager to steer the conversation away from the uncomfortable encounter.

Dr. Suting seemed to snap out of his momentary lapse, his demeanor shifting back to his playful mode. "Ah, yes, of course," he replied, clearing his throat. "We have a significant amount of paperwork to go through regarding my latest project. I need your assistance in sorting through it and compiling the relevant data."