Chapter 19: Nothing but broken hearts

The next morning, I dressed quickly and made my way downstairs, a sense of unease gnawing at me. Luka's absence was conspicuous; he was usually punctual. As I sat down to eat breakfast, Yori's gaze followed me, his expression as inscrutable as ever. It was almost disconcerting how he could maintain such a stoic demeanor amidst the chaos that seemed to swirl around us.

"Luka isn't here yet, Yori?" I inquired, my tone tinged with concern.

"I tried waking him up like usual, but he didn't respond," Yori replied, a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips. His nonchalant demeanor grated on my nerves, but I bit back my frustration. Now wasn't the time for confrontation.

With a resigned sigh, I realized that it fell upon me to check on Luka. The thought of volunteering for such a task was absurd; after all, I barely knew him. But something compelled me to ensure his well-being, despite my own misgivings.

As I climbed the stairs and made my way towards the male dormitory, a sense of déjà vu washed over me. The corridor looked vaguely familiar, though I couldn't place why. Shaking off the sensation, I pressed on, my footsteps echoing in the empty hallway.

Finally, I reached the door that Yori had identified as Luka's. Steeling myself, I raised my hand to knock, uncertainty gnawing at me. What would I even say to him? The absurdity of the situation left me feeling utterly ridiculous. Nevertheless, I rapped my knuckles against the door, calling out to Luka in a feeble attempt to rouse him.

"Luka, it's me, Y/n. You're going to be late for classes," I called, my voice echoing in the silence of the hallway. But there was no response, no indication that he had heard me. Frowning, I tried again, knocking more insistently this time.

"Luka?" I called, my voice tinged with concern. Still, there was no answer. With a heavy heart, I realized that my efforts were in vain. If Luka wasn't responding, there was little more I could do. Reluctantly, I turned away from the door, leaving him to his solitude.

                              ***

After the knocking ceased, rhythmic footsteps echoed through the hall, gradually fading until they were barely audible. Luka lay in his bed, his eyes puffy and red, his expression blank as he stared off into the pure white wall before him. It was as if he were lost in a void, disconnected from the world around him.

At this moment, he lacked the energy and strength to engage with anyone. His small frame seemed to curl in on itself, as if seeking solace in its own confines. Luka had never been the strongest of individuals, and in this moment of despair, he found himself unable to face the outside world. The mere thought of being surrounded by others was suffocating, overwhelming him with a sense of helplessness.

With a heavy heart, Luka remained in bed, ignoring the passage of time as he grappled with his inner turmoil. His throat felt raw, aching with every swallow, prompting him to rise and pour himself a glass of water. Yet, even the cool liquid offered only temporary relief from the persistent discomfort that plagued him.

Beside the jug of water sat two frames, each containing a snapshot of a different reality. The larger frame depicted his family – his mother, father, and three younger sisters. As Luka studied the photograph, it became painfully evident that he was the odd one out, his features starkly different from those of his relatives. It was a reminder of his inherent otherness, a source of profound alienation that he could never quite escape.

Turning his gaze to the smaller frame, Luka's heart clenched with a mixture of longing and sorrow. The photograph captured two children who bore an uncanny resemblance to each other, their identical features reflecting a bond that transcended words. It was a stark contrast to Luka's own reality, where he felt isolated and alone.