Chapter 9: Why?

As I entered my room after dinner, there it was-the doll on the floor beside the bed. I picked it up, and for a moment, I smiled. The doll, in its silent simplicity, held a significance that transcended its physical form. It reminded me of a time when my father, in a capricious act, decided to discard all our belongings when I was around thirteen.

The purge included items from my childhood-my toys, pictures, and other sentimental possessions. I couldn't fathom the reason behind my father's decision to discard everything I held dear. He insisted that he would buy replacements for everything he disposed of, but the truth was, he couldn't replace the sentimental value of the items that were lost. The dolls and toys I had cherished since childhood were gone, leaving me with an inexplicable void.

Even though I had outgrown the age for toys, having those familiar objects in my room served as a tangible connection to my past. It taught me a valuable lesson-that money couldn't buy everything, especially the intangible memories and emotions associated with cherished possessions.

Yet, as I sat on the floor holding the doll, I couldn't shake the current reality-I didn't have any money. The contrast between the past and the present emphasized the complexities of my relationship with my father. His actions and motivations remained elusive, leaving me perplexed.

My mind delved into a cascade of questions about my father's motives. What was he thinking? Why was he so obsessed with his actions? Why did he perpetrate the bewildering deeds that shaped our tumultuous relationship? These thoughts lingered, reflecting the tangled web of emotions and unanswered queries that defined my connection with my enigmatic father.

The doll, now a poignant symbol of the past, evoked a mix of nostalgia, loss, and unanswered questions-a tangible reminder of the complexity that was my relationship with my father.

Father taught me a valuable lesson-to avoid getting attached to anything, as they could disappear within the blink of an eye. The discarded possessions from my past served as a stark reminder of this harsh reality.

After contemplating this lesson, I decided to take a bath to soothe my thoughts. Using the shared bathroom, I found solace in the hot water, a luxury I hadn't enjoyed since my relocation.

Relaxing in the bath, the soothing warmth enveloping me, I suddenly noticed the water turning an ominous red. A metallic scent filled the air, prompting me to stand up abruptly. Just then, a knock echoed on the door. Wrapping myself in a towel, I opened it to find Yori, his usual smile in place.

"Please forgive me, miss, but this is an emergency," Yori stated without further explanation. He entered the bathroom, inspecting the tub filled with red liquid.

"I'll look into this; please go to your room and rest," he directed me.

I followed his instructions, gripping the towel tightly. Yori's uncanny ability to appear during inconvenient times made me wonder if he knew more than he let on.

As I stepped away from the bathroom, I noticed Luka at the far end of the corridor, heading away. His presence surprised me; after all, members of the opposite sex were not allowed in this area. Why was Luka here? What reason could he possibly have for being in this restricted part of the residence?

The mysterious convergence of Yori and Luka raised more questions than answers. The unease lingered as I retreated to my room, contemplating the peculiar events unfolding in this enigmatic environment.

I cleaned myself, contemplating the strange occurrence of the red water. Why had it taken on that unsettling hue? The mystery loomed over my thoughts as I sighed and donned my clothes.

With a throbbing headache, I settled at my desk, scrolling aimlessly through my phone. Aware that sleep would likely elude me, I resigned myself to the passing hours. Thirst and a sore throat eventually drove me downstairs to the kitchen for water, filling the bottle before making my way to the library.