Chapter 24: Eyes that see the darkness.

As we pulled over to Dr. Suting's home, Luka was swiftly ushered into his personal lab, accompanied by the driver. It became apparent that the driver was a scientist akin to Dr. Suting, explaining their acquaintance. Perhaps my initial suspicions were unfounded, and they were simply colleagues with a shared passion for scientific inquiry.

Despite this realization, a nagging sense of unease persisted. My father's influence loomed large in my life, and I couldn't shake the feeling that Dr. Suting's involvement was somehow connected to him. Paranoia or not, I couldn't dismiss the possibility that my father had orchestrated this situation to keep tabs on me.

As Dr. Suting and the driver disappeared into the lab with Luka in tow, I lingered outside, straining to overhear their conversation. Perhaps if I listened closely, I could discern the true nature of their relationship and put my apprehensions to rest.

However, doubts continued to plague my mind. Was I being overly suspicious, reading too much into innocent interactions? Or was there a darker truth lurking beneath the surface, waiting to be uncovered?

Lost in my thoughts, I absently opened the door to Dr. Suting's office, stepping inside at his instruction to wait while he tended to Luka. The room was immaculately clean, devoid of any clutter or documents strewn about. The absence of Dr. Suting's usual filing cabinet made it impossible for me to indulge my curiosity and snoop for clues.

My gaze drifted to the large glass display case occupying a corner of the office. Inside stood a doll, its face concealed beneath a cloth. I couldn't fathom the purpose of such a display—what was Dr. Suting's rationale for showcasing a doll with its features obscured?

I sat in the office, feeling increasingly restless and bored. Needing a change of scenery, I decided to venture out onto the balcony. I recalled fond memories of past tea parties held in that very spot, though I couldn't quite recall the route to get there.

Exiting through the nearest door, I found myself on a small balcony, realizing it wasn't the one I had in mind but deciding to make do. Stepping outside, I was greeted by a breathtaking view, the cold wind whipping around me as I surveyed the landscape below.

As the wind subsided, a rhythmic ticking sound caught my attention. Intrigued, I listened closely, realizing it wasn't just one clock but several, all of the clocks ticking at different times creating a mesmerizing rhythm. Spotting another door opposite the one I had entered through, I made my way over to investigate.

Opening the door revealed an empty room, save for a solitary table and a framed picture hanging on the wall. The ticking of the clocks seemed to grow louder within the confines of the room, adding to the eerie atmosphere.

Approaching the table, I examined the framed picture closely. It depicted Dr Suting, looking remarkably similar to his present self. Standing beside him was a woman, her eyes obscured by what appeared to be bandages or a blindfold. In her outstretched hand, she wore what looked like an engagement ring, though the picture was old and somewhat damaged.

The revelation that Dr. Suting may have been engaged came as a surprise to me. He seemed too young, and the picture itself appeared ancient, raising questions about its authenticity.

Curiosity piqued, I turned my attention to another door in the room, only to find it locked. Letting out a frustrated sigh, I noticed a peephole positioned too high up on the door. Standing on my toes, I peered through the opening, but saw nothing of note. Suddenly, I heard a click, followed by the door unlocking.

Surprised by the unexpected turn of events, I hesitated for a moment before attempting to open the door once more, eager to uncover the secrets that lay beyond.