Nano's Past (Part 1)

"?!" Naku woke up as if he had just had a nightmare

Naku gasped for breath and put his hand on his chest, feeling his chest feel tight as if he had been hit by something heavy, before he began to calm down and remember that the incident he experienced was reality and not a nightmare.

"..." Naku looked around and didn't find the object he got from the snow plain.

"I think he ran away." Naku tried to stand up and realized that he was covered in some leaves which made him feel a little warm.

"..?" Naku saw right to his right an object that looked like a large eyeball.

The thing activated itself and looked at Naku.

"You slept for a whole day, your body was weak from not eating for 28 hours." The thing said to Naku.

"...How did you know?" Naku asked.

"I am an artifact created by Project Ark which is equipped with several function systems, one of which is analysis." The thing said.

"...I don't know what to call you..." Naku asked in a weak voice.

"I don't have a name, but I have a code, NanoScan00082." The thing said to Naku.

"...How about I just name you Nano? Wouldn't that be better?" Naku said to him.

"...Nano?" The thing fell silent as if he had stopped functioning.

The object fell silent and experienced memory replay which made him remember one of his memories.

"Wouldn't it be better if your name was Nano? What if I named you that?" A boy's voice that felt familiar to him made him pause like a stuck machine.

"...Greia..?" The thing looked at Naku and said a name with a voice that sounded like he had emotions even though he was an artifact.

When he saw Naku, what he felt was a strange feeling that he had never felt since he was created by Project Ark.

"Yes... you can call me nano..." Nano said in a voice that trembled as if he was about to cry which made Naku a little surprised.

"You are a unique artifact, hearing your words in a voice like that makes it seem like you have human emotions..." Naku saw Nano who was silent floating in the air looking at Naku.

"Emotion..?" Nano said in a sad tone.

[Accessing Private Database: Emotion]

"Ah... this.. emotion?" Nano received a number of information that he had never seen before in his memory.

"Aren't you a little cold Nano? Well... you're an artifact so maybe you don't know what human emotions are... I hope you can understand it one day" Another memory appeared in Nano's vision which came from her deepest memory which she had forgotten.

"I almost forgot, I got this thing inside your body." Naku stretched out his hand and showed a yellow crystal that radiated mana.

"This..." Nano looked at the object and scanned it.

He analyzes the crystal and gets information from the database which also makes his memories complement each other.

"Wait.. this..?" Nano said before his vision glitched.

"A-AH..!" Nano screams in pain because his module has a function similar to humans like Ark.

The glitch filled his entire vision and all the memories hidden in his memory became complete and started memory replay automatically.

**************************************
100 years ago, in 1554. On a land that was very cold and reached -18 degrees Celsius and snowstorms that continued without stopping, a sophisticated tower was at the top of the iceberg with very advanced technology, Ark Tower Branch: White Mountain.

Hundreds and thousands of artifacts are mass produced by researchers in laboratories, and one of them is Nano. He opened his eyes and saw hundreds of researchers doing their work, all Nano knew was that he was ordered to search for materials using the scanning that was embedded in him.

"NanoScan00082, scan the white cave area." One of the security officers who was tasked with managing and ensuring that the artifacts did not rebel or malfunction ordered him.

Nano entered the frozen cave without struggling and scanned the surroundings, but after scanning for 10 minutes, he found nothing and returned to the security along with other artifacts.

"Tch you guys didn't get anything? You useless bastards." The security said irritably while hitting Nano who happened to be in front of him.

Nano hit the cave wall hard and cracked his frame, but he didn't feel anger or sadness because he was just a tool created purely to work until it broke. After working for 20 hours, Nano returned to the laboratory along with the other artifacts.

"Hm? NanoScan00082 come here." One of the researchers saw him and called him.

The researcher saw the Nano's cracked and damaged frame, checked its components and found that the Nano's functional system had been damaged due to the heavy impact.

"..." The researcher looked at Nano coldly and took him to a room which was full of scrap metal and rubbish and a large iron gate on the wall that would dump all the rubbish onto the mountainside.

The researcher threw down Nano without the slightest hesitation and took out paper and wrote.

"NanoScan00082, thrown away because it is no longer useful." The researcher said while writing it on paper before then walking back to the lab.

Nano, who saw the researcher throw him, could only look on without feeling anger or sadness before he hit the slope of the mountain and fell to the bottom of the mountain along with the wreckage and rubbish from the tower. Nano's frame opened and his movement system malfunctioned, leaving him only able to stare at the sky.

"Repairing... Failed." Nano said and repeated it over and over again.

He tried to improve his own system for 5 days in a row repeating the same words but still failed, before then he heard a boy voice.

"Hm? This is a rare thing here, isn't it? Looks like it came from that tower..." A boy picked up Nano which was in a pile of rubbish and looked at it.

"Repairing... Failed." Nano repeated the same words.

"You're malfunctioning, aren't you? hmmm then let's go to my home, I know a little about artifacts." The boy smiled at Nano.

"Oh yeah, I've heard that artifacts are living AI machines, right? Then let's get to know each other?" The boy said with a warm smile to Nano.

Nano, who kept repeating the same words, then decided to stop repairing his system temporarily and said...

"Code name... NanoScan00082..." Nano said with a little difficulty because the module was malfunctioning.

"NanoScan00082..? Your name is difficult, isn't it? Oh right I'm Greia! Don't worry, I'll fix you." Greia said with a smile that looked like it would never disappear one bit.

Greia then walked towards the snowstorm, right behind it was the small village where he lived.