The Girlfriend // Part Two

"Everyone, we have a special guest for dinner. This is Katie." Jackie smiled, a tinge of hostility coating her voice as a young girl came into the room, holding onto Jackie's hand.

"Hello, Katie." Emma smiled warmly.

"Katie's here because her mummy, Susan, from round the corner, had to go and see Katie's grandma in hospital all of a sudden. So, we're... All looking after her tonight." Jackie explained.

"Really?" Martin frowned, consequently getting shushed by Jackie.

"Evening ruined." Jonny commented, taking a big swig of his wine, holding in his sigh of relief as Violet made a noise of agreement, hoping this meant she wasn't actually all that mad at him.

"Guess we have to stop our little game then." Violet muttered to Jonny.

"Your just scared you'll lose." He responded, keeping his voice quiet enough so only Violet could hear.

"I don't even have to try."

Violet took her cardigan off, moving her hair behind her shoulders, watching as Jonny's eyes trailed over her body.

"Fine 2-1." He mumbled, shaking his head at her smile.

"You remember Adam, don't you? He used to baby-sit for you when you were little." Jackie continued.

"Hi, Katie." Adam smiled politely.

"Hello, Adam." Katie blushed, hiding in Jackie's arms as the table made a small commotion.

"Fancies you." Violet said through a cough, shooting Jonny a grin.

He smiled back, his grin getting bigger as the girl took his hand in hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

As much as she knew he was keeping something from her, it was clearly something to do with whatever was on Adam's phone, therefore it wasn't hers or Jonny's problem, the latter not deserving her anger over the secrecy.

"Come sit down." Jackie led Katie to her seat, stopping at Martin, encouraging him to say hello.

"Oh yes, good evening. Martin Goodman." Martin said, putting his hand out for the girl to shake.

"Martin, she's an eight-year-old girl, not a 55-year-old businessman." Jackie scoffed, ignoring her husband as she continued taking Katie to her chair.

"Actually, I'm nine in June." Katie corrected.

"And another one!" Violet fake gasped as Adam's phone went off once more, her unimpressed demeanour now being aimed at him to avoid any problems between her and Jonny.

"Sorry." Adam gave Emma an awkward look as he picked up his phone once more shielding it from her.

"You all right?" Emma asked.

"What?" Adam sounded panicked, making Emma frown at him, making an attempt to sound more calm as he continued, "Oh, just more work."

"Can I play with your phone?" Katie asked, having taken a seat next to Jonny.

"Um, not now."