Chapter 12

"Breath in my lady" chevon said for the fifth time pulling the strings on the corset. Halley was being dressed for the ball her husband had informed her about. It was the first time they would be doing something together and Halley couldn't help the giddy feeling that wash over her. Or was is the corset?

" If I breathe in anymore,you will be dressing a corpse. " Halley retorted, with a frowned.

The maid sigh as she began tieing the strings. A few minutes after Halley was dressed in a lavender ball gown,that had a ribbon tied to its waste and a slightly low neckline. Her breast was pushed upwards due to the corset. Making her a bit uncomfortable. There's also no sleeves. She was very grateful for the shawl provided.

Halley gasps as she saw her own reflexion in the mirror. She could hardly recognized the person staring back at her. She was beautiful and she felt beautiful like a princess attending her first ball. Her hair was done in an elegant coiffure and adorn with white silk flowers.

"You look breathtaking mistress." Chevon beamed staring at Halley.

Halley turn facing her with a bright smile. "Could not have done it without your help." She said causing the maid to blushed.

Joshua stood impatiently waiting at the bottom of the staircase. If they didn't leave now,they would be late and he hate being late. He began pacing the floor.

Halley saw her husband pacing the floor and giggled to herself. If she had know he would be this restless she would have stall a little more. As if sensing her presence Joshua looked up and he stop breathing for a second as he saw his wife ascending the stairs. She looked gorgeous! Smiling at him with those tantalizing brown eyes.

Composing himself he offer her his arm and she slowly took him it smiling warmly at him. That smile had strange things happening to his body and her scent was driving him crazy. This is going to be a very long ride.

Halley was crowded with gentlemen asking her for a dance as soon as she entered the lively ballroom. If it weren't for her husband's deadly grip on her arm and stern face. The men would have still been Pestering and hovering around her like bees to honey.

Whisk away by husband she found herself in Lady Cummings company and her husband Lord Cummings. " Oh Halley you look stunning tonight. " Jennifer beamed with delight." Excuse us gentlemen. " she said quickly pulling Halley away from her husband.

"Why so serious Joshua?" David asked with a chuckle.

"I don't like how those hounds are looking at my wife." Joshua said staring at his wife talking endlessly with Lady Cummings.

" I never thought you were the jealous type."

"I'm not-"

"Yes you are" The Duke of Nottingham interposed with a chuckle, engulfing his two buddies in a bear hug. He was tall broad muscular fellow with a smile of deception having all the ladies falling to his knees. He was the only blond in the group and felt special about it.

David and Joshua groan as they push him away slightly. Causing the Duke to pout like a child. " I haven't seem you guys in ages and this is the reception I received. "

"Greetings would be nice not a hug. We aren't children anymore Jake." David groan staring at his Friend. Who rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Josyy my friend I have something for you." He said mischievously to Joshua who was straightening out his waist coat from any wrinkles his friend made with his display of affection.

" Wh-?" Joshua was punch in the stomach without warning.

"That was for not inviting me to your wedding. "

"What is wrong with you Jake this is not a place for such exchange. " David said shocked at Jake's behavior."It's like the sea breeze affect your Brain."

"Not that he had much." Joshua said rubbing his stomach. "I challenge you to a Duel"

"Choose your weapon."

"Swords"

"I'm I the only one here that thinks you two are ridiculous?" David question. Watching his two friends exchange words.

"Now that is settled. Where is that wife of yours?" Jake asked rubbing his hands together.

"She is-"

"Dancing with Lord Bark" David finished nonchalantly. Joshua looked murderously at his wife while Jake jaw hung open.

" That your wife, goddess divine?"

"What did you call her? " Joshua question through gritted teeth his hands clenching in a fist.

Jake eyes was still glue to the beauty twirling around the dance floor." Ahhh...what you say?" Meeting Joshua's stern face." Oh loosen up man is just what I heard a gentleman referred her by." He focus back his gaze on her and mumbled. " I can clearly see why."

Halley threw her head back and laugh at something Lord Bark had said as she was twirl around the dancefloor. She was approach by the dashing Lord for a dance and hesitated at the thought of what her husband might think. After viewing him laughing and talking profoundly at the two other handsome gentlemen without even looking for her or asking her to dance. She eagerly accepted his offer. Leaving Jennifer who was now indulging herself in a conversation with the other ladies.

Why couldn't I have a husband who love me ? It was a blessing to have the most handsome man in London but that wasn't enough.

"Why so sad gorgeous?" Lord Bark asked seeing her solemn face.

" It's nothing," She reply trying not to grimace in his presence."and my name is Halley. " there was something disturbing about Lord Bark that she didn't like. He seems mysterious and have this dark allure about him.

Lord Bark study the Lady in his arms. She didn't look like any of the young Ladies in London and to make it strange he had never saw her before. He would have remembered such beauty.

" I'm sorry Bark but my wife and I should be leaving. " Joshua interposed pulling his wife from the man's arms.

"Wife? This beauty is your wife, man aren't you lucky." He Chuckled.

Joshua stare at the man with hatred. It took all the self control he had to not to let his fist connect to Bark's jaw and wipe that smug look off his face.

"Come on Halley it's high time I got you home. " Halley was relief to be out of Lord Bark's arm and in her husband's. She love this possessive side of him. It made her felt wanted.

" I think you should Josy before someone else did." Within seconds Joshua was using Lord Bark's face as a punching bag.

Halley gasps as she try to stop her husband. " Joshua stop!"

The entire ballroom was surrounding the scene and David and Jake fought their way through the crowd to get their friend. It took the two of them to get him off Lord Bark who was sporting a broken nose.

"That's enough Joshua!" David said. holding his friend's arm Joshua glare at his friends as he pull away his arms from them both.

"Speak about my wife like that again and you wouldn't only have a broken nose." He spat at Lord Bark. The crowd clear a path for him as he made his exit.

"Halley!"

Halley give Jennifer a sympathetic smile before following her husband out the ballroom.

***

Don't forget to vote and comment :)