Chapter 55

Samantha’s body trembled with anxiousness as she looked upon the sea of lovely ladies and gentlemen, dressed impeccably in the most exquisite clothing she had ever seen. She fidget with the gloves on her hands before smoothing her palms over her shimmering gold gown,her blond curls lifted off her shoulders in a messy bun with a few strands let loose above her forehead. Taking a deep breath she entered the swarm of aristocrats. Her blues eyes admiring the splendid decor while seeking familiar faces.

It’s been about two weeks since Joshua and her started courting, he had met her outside the inn and returned the books, he had forgotten to give back. After that, Samantha found herself attending events after the events, going shopping almost every morning. Joshua had kept spoiling her with gifts.

It was very tired-some but she dare not complain. It was better than being alone in the cottage although she must admit she missed the place. With all that had been happening, Samantha had no choice but to find a house not far from the town. It took too much time travelling back and forth from the cottage.

“ Looking for someone?” A deep familiar voice asked from behind.

Samantha smile and turned towards the handsome Earl. “ David. What a pleasant surprise too see you here.” She had saw little of Lord Cummings during the days, only communication was through letters and footmen.

Samantha had learn from Joshua on a carriage ride , that his wife was giving him a hard time. Samantha had kept pondering on why? Did his wife knew about his visit at her home or the letters he had been sending?

“ You didn’t think I would have miss this ball do you?” He rose a brow in the air. “ It’s like the Ball of the century!” He placed his hand on the back of her shoulders ushering her towards the balcony. “ Joshua have been going insane with your absence... but first let me introduce you to my wife ”

Samantha did not realized how hot the ballroom was until she was slapped in the face by the cold wind. At the corner of the balcony she saw the dark blue gown of an lady leaning against the railings. “ Jenny darling,” At the mention of her name Jennifer lifted her head to smile at her husband then her eyes widen noticing the other woman.

“ David I told you I am not sick, I don’t need a midwife ” She groaned, then buried her face in her hands.

“Jenny she-” He looked at Samantha then his wife. Samantha was indeed a midwife, she deliver babies. “ This is Samantha Wavery ”

“ Oh my” Lady Cummings stepped out of the shadows and in the moonlight, Samantha was startled by her beauty, her hair was not as gold as hers, it was lighter color. It enhance her rich blue eyes along with the dress she was wearing. She looked slightly pale but still managed to give Samantha a radiant smile  “ I am sorry for referring to you as a midwife. I didn’t know you were so young …I didn’t notice your appearance- ”

“ No need to apologized, ” She stopped the Countess from an awkward explanation. “I am indeed a midwife ”

“ But I thought midwives were…”

“ Old?” Samantha interposed then chuckled. “ I thought so too ”

Lady Cummings grinned at Samantha “ Yes. They say the older the more experience-” Jennifer began to sway from left to right and Lord Cummings was immediately by her side.

“ That’s it we are leaving and calling the doctor ” Lady Cummings rested her head on his shoulders and nodded. She had been having painful headaches since Anna was born and thought sleeping it off would help. It did, for some time but with all that had been happening with Joshua and her husband finding out that she knew of Halley’s baby and didn't tell him was all too much.