Chapter 19

The frightening darkness of the night engulfed the atmosphere with lightning striking the face of the earth. The rain stampeded upon the rooftops like angry horses running wild. Lord Fisher knew he should be at home, lying comfortably in his bed. Instead he was out in the cold weather running from a stranger.

Lord Fisher was wrong in his assumption of escaping his pursuer in the thick crowd this morning. Leaving the pub only moments ago. He saw the figure once more. The raindrops felt like needles pricking his entire body as he made his way through the alley. Never had he been chased before. He was always the one doing the chasing. His fingers grip the wooden cane in his hands as he stood in the middle of the alley.

He need to know who this stranger was and he wasn't going to find out if he kept running. Pressing his back on the damp brick wall. Lord Fisher hid in the shadows of the night waiting until his pursuer pass by.

Monsieur Vandenburgh walked down the dark alley. Taking care free steps in the showers of rain. His feet kicked the pool of water beneath him like a sweeping broom. The soldier definitely came through this alley. He thought lifting his tall black hat off his head as he swept a hand through his curly blond hair. That was sticking to his face like glue. He hated this dreadful weather! Years he had been stuck in England following Lord Fisher like a shadow. Tonight he was just scaring the old soldier a bit until the perfect time to kill him. Word was sent to the French, informing his friends of the successful news. It was only a matter of time before their arrival.

Strips of light flash in the distance giving Lord Fisher a clear view of the stranger. Who stroll along the Alley as if the dreadful weather didn't bother him. Curly blond hair. Tall. Sightly muscular. Who was this man?

The song he was whistling had Lord Fisher's heart beating louder than the thunder. French! Could it be that the French send a spy to follow him to locate the Princess? So they are smart after all he thought grinding his teeth. Also Cursing himself for not walking with a pistol.

****

"Good morning your grace" The sleepy Butler greeted Standing at the doorway.

Lord Fisher try not to grimace at the old Butler." I need to speak with my cousin. " he reply entering the house as the Butler step aside.

"He is still slee- "

"Do I look like I care, wake him up or I'll do it myself! " Lord Fisher glare at him as he took of his gloves and coat. That was soaked with rain.

Welcoming the warmth from the fireplace as he entered the drawing room. He went straight away and pour himself some Brandy as he sat waiting next to the fire for his cousin. Who decided to show up half an hour later.

"Don't you sleep cousin?" The admiral questioned rubbing his eyes upon entering. He stifled a yawn as he sat on the couch facing Lord Fisher.

" Sorry to wake you up."

The admiral began to laugh." I must be dreaming because the famous Duke doesn't apologized. " This cause Lord Fisher to frowned.

" I didn't came here to listen to your stiff jokes. I'm being followed I need you to get rid of him for me." Lord Fisher said leaning forward in his chair.

"Now you realized?" This cause Lord Fisher's eyes to widen.

" Now before you get upset," the admiral place his hands in a defensive manner. "I found out the day you told me about the princess being married to your son. Just as you left I saw this strange gentleman leave a few minutes after. I thought it was just a coincidence but as curious as I am I inquired about him and the bartender told me he always shows up whenever you're around."