Chapter 30

He had never felt so scared.
Joshua clenched trembling hands around his wife's cold fingers and stared at her through blurry eyes. Lying unconsciously on the huge queen size bed. She looked so fragile. So thin. Her long tresses spread wildly around her like a blanket, almost swallowing her. Witnessing his wife collapse in his arms had unmanned him. It had been ages since he felt this way. This vulnerability. He inhale sharply, then closed his eyes. From the first moment he saw her getting out of the carriage, She had already captured his heart.

" Halley please wakeup " Her milk coloured skin felt so cold to his touch. If it wasn't for her shallow breathing, Joshua would have probably lost his sanity. Where was the doctor? His eyes momentarily swept longingly to the close door. His patience was slowly running dry. Lady Tanis had send a footman to fetch the doctor immediately before rushing them off to one of her best guest room. That was thirty minutes ago!

With a distressed protest Joshua pry his eyes away from the door. " Don't worry my love. The doctor would be here very soon." He brought her hands to his lips, kissing it tenderly as he try to find comfort in his own words.

A few minutes after. The door suddenly drifted opened to reveal the concern face of the Butler. " The Doctor has arrived my lord" he announced.

"What took you so long!"Joshua's eyebrows creased under angrily blue eyes as the Doctor Waltz his way into the room.

" My apologies my lord." He place his bag on the edge of the bed. " the rain was much of a nuisance. Now let us see what is wrong with your wife " he replied, pushing his spectacles firmly back on his nose.

Joshua rose to his feet, lifting the chair with him. He went and sat out of the Doctor's path. " She fainted.." his voice coked with emotions as he watched the doctor start examining his wife.

"Hmm...no sign of concussion" The doctor mumbled, forcing open Halley's eyes. Her eyes slowly fluttered opened at the gesture, instead of being greeted by the beams of the ceiling. A strange elderly man hovered over her, blocking the view.

"Joshua!" Her heartbeat quickened, bringing a bit of color to her cheeks.

Joshua rushed to his wife's side, with uncontrollable joy. " I am here my love " he caress her cheek with his thumb. " its just Doctor Morris "

"Doctor?" She whispered.

" You fainted at the ball Halley. Doctor Morris is here to take care of you." His shimmering blues eyes held her bright brown ones. Grateful to feast upon them once again.

Halley remembered the ball. To well perhaps. She slowly turned her head away from her husband, facing the other side of the room. She know longer wanted to see his face. She wished it had all been a horrible dream. A nightmare. She pinched the bridge of her nose, trying desperately to banished the unappealing thoughts from her mind. It wasn't healthy for her. Its because of them she was lying here in bed. She was even hallucinating! A while ago she thought her unfaithful husband referred to her as 'his love?' Good heavens she really needed a doctor!

" Lady Fisher, How have you been feeling for the past couple of days?" Halley met Doctor Morris smiling grey eyes fully aware of her husband's quizzical gaze on her.

"Umm..can I have a glass of water please" she hastily replied, hoisting herself on her elbows.

"I'll get it for you" Halley watch her husband disappeared through the door with a frowned. She hope he wouldn't poison her, so that lady Wentworth and him would be free to carry out their infidelities. Sighing she muttered a curse under her breathe. Joshua wouldn't kill her in the presence of a doctor.

"Lady Fisher?"

Halley spend the rest of her time informing Doctor Morris of her past days. The restless nights, the headaches, she even told him about tonight, leaving out the details about her husband and his mistress, obviously. Instead she told him she was upset that they arrived late and have been constantly crying, which was partially the truth. By the time Halley was finished Doctor Morris had a broad smile on his face, which caused Halley's forehead to creased.