Chapter 50

Joshua felt drained.

During the past days, he had been busy trying his best to pry some information from the studious stable boy, Peter. Joshua had spend more time in the stables than he did in the house at the moment, his nose was now immune to fowl smells, even at the breakfast table, the redolent scent of horses were so strong, it felt as if cook had prepared something from the stables. David had told him a story concerning the little girl Sarah.

It didn't make any sense, come to think of it was anything they were telling him so far the truth? How could he name a little girl he found on the streets gathering children for the orphanage? David had said it like he was collecting seashells from the shore and only named one in particular. His favorite. The next mystery was the lady at the orphanage who had passed away, that helped in his 'collection' whom the child had mistaken for his wife. Was David drinking at the time? Was....he drunk? Joshua's memory may be lost but his senses were very much active and alive.

They were hiding something.

Joshua closed his eyes, hands sprawl out on the bed as he ponder, on how drastically his thoughts had changed. The only conclusion, that seems logic was he had a wife, she died and they were trying to protect him from the truth. But it's not like he would have remembered her. Would he? Joshua sighed, It was to early to be in his bed chamber but it beats going back to the stables and walking idly about. His father had got him lazy, taken upon all the workload on himself.

Joshua sat upright on the bed and retrieved his pocket watch. He couldn't travel back to the orphanage without his father's inquiry and companionship. The Duke was furious when David and him had arrived back from the orphanage. He does not like Joshua to be out on the streets of Wessex. Joshua's eyebrows creased as he snapped the watch close and tossed it on the bed. He could not understand why his father was so protective. Good dammit! He was a grown man! Was his father always like this before his memory loss?

Peter was the closest person, in his reach that would had given him some information. Joshua had tried, to gain his trust by carrying him books, increasing his pay. Conversing with him like a friend. He had even given the lad his own horse! The young man was a stubborn brick to crack. It was like being in the presence of a mute. "A mute who knows how to read" Joshua grumbled, just as the door of his bedchamber swung opened.

"Regin," Joshua rose to his feet. " have you came to keep me company this evening?" He smiled. Regin had been more of an companion than a butler of late, on evenings when Joshua was feeling bored, Regin would enlightened his mood with stories from the Butler's past. But one story always caught Joshua's attention. It was the one with a bachelor, who resented the idea of marriage but when it was forced upon him to marry he had too and although his marriage was on a rough path, he came to love his wife, very much. Joshua had laughed at some of the details, seems like the poor man had married a wild cat. Joshua chuckled, softly. He wouldn't mind hearing it again.

"I'm afraid not master Joshua, for you have guests that has just arrived," He replied. "The Earl, Countess and the young lady Cummings."

Seems like the story would have to wait.

***

Joshua entered the drawing room with hast to find his friend David, frowning at the portrait of his father that hung above the mantle. Joshua glanced at the portrait, he never once held any particular interest to it. Everyone said, he resemble his father and that's the only thing Joshua was sure of. It was the truth, no secret their. He was the younger version of the Duke of Wessex. " Astonishing similarities don't you think?"