9

( BACKSTABBER )

AMY'S HOUSE
[ ☾]

       "All right. So then tell me what's going on." Sam says.

       "Drop the knife and I'll show you."

       "Show me and I'll drop the knife." Sam says.

       "Don't move." Amy opens the door to a room in which a child is sleeping. "This is Jacob... my son. I've built a life here, Sam. I'm... in the PTA. I'm boring."

       "But you're still feeding." Says Sam.

       "On the dead. I'm a mortician." Amy says. "I know. Not sexy, but, you know, health benefits. I quietly take what Jacob and I need. No one gets hurt. But it can be risky, feeding like that, especially for a kid. Jacob got sick. He was dying, and the only way to fight it off was –"

      "He needed fresh meat." Sam says.

      "It worked. After the last one, his fever broke."

      "Amy –" Sam says.

      "It's over." Says Amy.

       "You can't guarantee that."

       "I give you my word. So, how is spilling more blood gonna help anyone?" Amy says. "You could still walk away from this. We both can. Sam... After what I did for you."

FLASHBACK

AMY'S HOUSE
[ ☼ ]

       "Amy, I –" Sam starts.

       "Hide!" Amy yells.

       "What?"

        "Quick!" Young Amy shuts a closet door behind Young Sam. Amy's mother enters. "Hey."

       "They caught up." She says.

      "Who caught up?" Amy asks.

       "Couple of pros in a piece-of-crap Impala. We're leaving." The Mother says.

      "But, Mom—"

       "I'm only gonna say this once – I put the food on this table, so you will do as you are told or I will let you starve." Amy's Mother walks towards the closet where Young Sam is hiding.

      "Okay." Amy says. "Gas up the van. I'll pack." Young Sam draws his knife in the closet.

      "Good girl." Amy's Mother leaves.

       "Awesome first date, huh?" Amy asks Sam. "Look, I'm sorry you got to go like this, but... What's wrong? Look, I know my mom's –"

      "No, I just have to go. I'm sorry." Young Sam sees a brain in a jar on a table.

      "Oh, that – that's nothing! That's just..." Amy says as Sam lifts his knife. "Sam?"

      "It's my dad and brother in the Impala. You're a monster." Sam says.

       "You're a hunter. So... You're supposed to kill me? And I'm supposed to kill you?"

       "I guess." Says Sam.

       "Sam, I've never killed anyone. And I don't want to hurt you." Amy says. "Do you want to hurt me?"

       "No."

       "Then run. If my mom finds you, she'll kill you. Just run. Please, Sam."

END FLASHBACK