11

( RAISE THE DEAD )

MOTEL ROOM
[ ☼ ]

       Sam hands the Man a glass of water. "So, Warren. Just, uh, take a minute. Tell us what's going on." He says.

      "Look—you're good people, I can see that, but you can't do anything for me. No one can."

      "Why not?" Dean asks.

      "Cause it's all impossible. You won't even believe me." Warren says.

      "Well, try us." Elena says.

      "I was just put on trial and sentenced to death."

       "What'd you do?" Asks Dean.

       "Held up a liquor store. I killed the owner and his wife." Warren says. "I wasn't thinking. I was young."

       "Young? When was this?" Dean asks.

      "1981." Says Warren.

       "And they just put you on trial?"" Dean asks.

       "No, no, I just got out of prison."

       "Okay, you're making less sense the more you talk." Dean gets up from his chair. Sam also gets up and holds out an arm to stop Dean.

       "No, it's okay. Just... go on." Sam says.

       "Did 30 years. I just got paroled." Warren says. "Not that you're ever free of that. I think about it every day."

      "So, then, what were you running from?" Sam asks.

        "Well, I told you—the trial! All I know is, one minute I'm at the bar, and the next, I get jumped, wake up in a damn courtroom."

        "Courtroom? Like a... courtroom?" Dean asks.

        "Well, no. There was a judge. Everything was crazy. It was in a barn." Warren says.

       "At the apple farm?" Sam asks.

       "Yeah."

        "And this bar where you were grabbed?" Elena asks.

       "Neal's Tavern." Warren said.

       Sam turns to Dean. "Same place Matthew Hammond went before his... car accident. Think maybe dog guy went there, too?" He asks.

       "Is there anything else you can tell us?" Elena asks.

       "You believe me?" Warren asks. "Who the hell are you?"

       "We kind of... specialize in crazy. So, uh, this judge—he got a name?" Sam asks.

       "No. But there was these weird symbols."

      "Symbols? Do you remember any of 'em? Can you draw them?" Sam gives Warren some paper and a pencil.

       "Excuse us a sec." Dean turns to Sam. "Can I talk to you?"

STREET OUTSIDE MOTEL
[ ☼ ]

       "What is it?" Sam asks Dean

       "'What is it?' Sam, uh... How about a drunk driver, Michael Vick, a murderer?" Dean asks.

      "And?" Sam asks.

       "And... when did our black-and-white case turn to mud?" Dean asks. "I'm just saying I'm having a hard time not rooting for the ghosts on this one."