68

( AMBUSH )

ROAD
[ ☾]

       Sam and Dean's vehicle drives along a wet road. Kevin is still asleep in the back seat. He wakes and looks at Meg. "Oh, God." Kevin says.

       "What?" Meg asks.

       "Nothing. Nothing. Just... my life... my future..." Kevin starts as Meg's phone rings. "...my girlfriend... my mom's car."

       Meg answers her phone. "Yeah. Yeah, Castiel. It's me."

       "Cas? Where? Where is he?" Dean asks.

       Meg turns to Dean. "Shut up." She says.

      "I'll stop speaking." Castiel says.

      "No. No, Cas. You talk." Meg says.

       Castiel is audible over Meg's phone. "I'm in a place called Perth." He says.

      "Perth?" Meg asks.

       "Perth? As in Australia?" Dean asks.

       "What dogs?" Meg asks and looks to Dean. "He says he's surrounded by unhappy dogs."

       "They're chasing a rabbit around [indistinct]..."

       "Oh. Okay. He's at a dog track in Perth." Meg says.

       "I'm surrounded by large unhappy dogs."

       "Yeah, they're unhappy 'cause the rabbit's fake. Listen, we're on highway 94, north of St. Cloud, Minnesota, just passing mile marker 79."

       Castiel materializes in the back seat between Meg and Kevin. "Aah!" Kevin yells.

      "Kevin, this is Castiel." Meg says.

       "You're one of the angels?" Asks Kevin.

       Castiel touches a finger to Kevin's nose. "Boop. Meg, are you hurt?" He asks.

      "Shut up."

       "Cas, what happened back there? Who were those guys?" Dean asks.

       "They're from the Garrison – my old Garrison. Looks like Hester's taken over. We were assigned to watch the earth. Often, it was boring." Castiel says. "The wars were very boring and the sex – you know, the repetition. Anyway, I was, uh... I was their captain. Isn't that strange?"

       "Cas, why are they pissed at us now?" Asks Sam.

        Castiel turns to Meg. "You know, those racing dogs were absolutely miserable. They can only think in ovals." He says.

       "Cas, don't make me pull this car over! Why are angels after us?" Dean asks.

       "Are you angry? Why are you angry?"

       "No, I-I'm... Please, can we just stay on target?" Dean asks.

       "There is no reason for anger. They're only following protocol. If the Word of God is revealed, a keeper of the Word will awaken, like this..." Castiel touches Kevin's nose. "...hot potato right here."

       Kevin slaps Castiel's hand away. "Please stop that." He says.

       "Anyway, Garrison code dictates you take the keeper to the desert to learn the Word away from men." Says Castiel.

       "What kind of sense does that make?" Elena asks. "He has to tell us so that we can use it."

       "That's God and his shiny red apples."