Chapter 24 ~ Our Song

Elena's POV

The lunch bell finally rings. Ugh, I'm starving. Why don't teachers let us eat in class? They can. We don't want to listen to your boring lesson. We want to eat! Why else do you think every kid asks for a potluck each quarter? Duh! When are teachers ever gonna get the message; kids want to eat. They wonder why we get so cranky and talk in class. It's to forget about the fact that you're starving us!

"Hey, Elena. Where's Tyler?" Jess asks.

Tyler and his friends have been eating with us every day since they took our seats. It eventually became a habit. As for Jess and Lex? Well, they got used to it. They were practically immune to it now; I was too.

"He should be coming soon." I answer Jess.

As soon as I said those words, the cafeteria doors open wide. Tyler Black and his group of friends around him. Is Nate holding a speaker? Why? The boys were soon approaching our table. making a grand entrance.

"Well, that was some entrance," Lex spoke what we were thinking.

"You bet, shorty," Chase teased her height.

They exchanged glares. Lex knew she was short, but she didn't like it when other people commented on it. Especially when Chase would say something about it. He doesn't get the point, does he? Nope, he has zero clue. I laugh at their attempts at death glares.

"Hey there, Cutie." A deep, strained voice called.

Was it Tyler? I can't tell. If it is, what's wrong with his voice?

I look behind me to see the one and only Tyler Black. He gives me a weak smile. Is he okay? What's wrong? Something is definitely wrong.

"Hi?" I say, more of a question than a greeting.

Music starts playing out of nowhere. Bedrock by Young Money and Lloyd is blasting through the speaker, the one Nate was carrying in when he made his grand entrance. This song is such a throwback! I know all the words.

"Cutie!" He says as loud as he can, a cough following. Seriously, though, is he okay? I'll ask him after; what he's about to tell me seems urgent.

"Yes?" I answer him, rubbing his back to help him from that cough.

"This is officially our song!" He tries shouting once again. Another cough follows, but it's worse this time. Should I take him to the nurse? I hand him my water because he clearly needs it more than I do.

He gulps down the water fast. I'm taken aback. Is he that dehydrated?

"Is that so?" I said, giggling. I scoot over so he can sit next to me. My hand involuntarily keeps rubbing his back, probably because he sounds like he's dying. Okay, now I'm officially worried.

"Mhm," is all he manages to get out.

"Tyler, are you okay? You're scaring me," I admit.

"I'm fine, Cutie," he says, coughing once again.

No, you're not. Stop lying. I can see it in your eyes. You're not okay.

"Tyler, what's wrong?" I whisper into his ear.

"Nothing. I'm just feeling a little under the weather. Coach made us practice in the rain yesterday. It's nothing," he explains.

I push his hair back and immediately feel his forehead. He jerks back at my touch. His head is burning hot! He can't be in school right now; he's not healthy!

"Tyler, you're burning!" My eyes widen as I practically screamed at him.

"Thanks, Cutie. I always knew you thought I was hot," he jokes, his voice congested. That was not so hot.

"Tyler." I warn him.

"I'm fine, Cutie. Really."

He puts his hands around his arms, rubbing them up and down. Is he cold? Where's his sweatshirt? I put my arms around him so I can warm him up.

"Better?" I ask.

He gives me a half smile and says, "Much."

---

A/N: Hey guys! While I was writing this chapter, something very funny happened. When I was writing "Tyler, you're burning!" My spotify started playing Fire Burning by Sean Kingston. It was hilarious. So what do you think is wrong with Tyler? Will he be okay? I know this chapter is really short, but this chapter was more of a filler for the upcoming chapters, sorry! Thanks for reading! Love you guys! <3