CHAPTER XXII

Okay, it is short. You''ve been warned. Sorry for that.

CHAPTER XXII

BROOKE'S P.O.V

The whole week went in peace. Not much happened back there but few things happened like our math test which Nathan passed to everyone's or mostly Janet's surprise.

Asher tried to give some hints which I didn't know how to react to them. After my work, he would always come to pick me up and then we would hang out together. Sure he was touching a lot but seemed like it was more on friendly side.

I mean, obviously it would be a routine for him, right?

I didn't voice my feelings no matter how Allie tried to force me. I was scared and didn't want to get my heart broken, so I broke it myself by not telling him what I wanted.

It was another usual day and we came home early from our work.

Allie was sitting on table while reading some book. I slumped beside her, peeking at her book.

"What are you reading?"

"A book?" she gave me a mischievous smile to which I just rolled my eyes.

"Shut up. Did you take bus to home?" I asked her but she shook her head.

"Nah! Nathan dropped me home." She shrugged.

"O.k. Lover boy is taking care of you, huh?"

"He always does!"

"Yeah, sure." This time I rolled my eyes, but I knew it was true.

I put my clothes back in my closet. Before that I changed into comfy pajama and shirt.

Suddenly something clicked and I came back to Allie's bed.

"What happened?" she asked.

"That day when you asked about Janet's accident, why Allie?"

Allie's face dropped when she heard that. She was fidgeting with the shirt she was wearing and it was mostly a reaction when she would get nervous.

"Allie, tell me. I know you have put everything together." I took her hands in my hands.

"It's... it's... "She was sweating like she knew something terrible that no one knew about.

"AL, trust me with this the way you always do."

"That night, the day my father hit someone's car, it was Janet's car."

I gasped loudly. Looking at her with widened eyes.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"It's true. First time when we went to Bolton's place and I saw Troy, I knew it was him. Do you remember we went to look for dad in hospital?"

I nodded, still in daze.

"I heard doctor talking about how he hit another person. Then I saw Troy as he was talking to them. Then we came home but I remembered Troy's torn face. He looked so broken. I couldn't forget his face, the way he was peeking in the room looking in distress, it was so heartbreaking. Then after all these years I saw him again and I knew it was Janet." A small tear fell from her eye.

I went and hugged her closer but I was shaken after knowing the truth.

"Allie, it's... I don't know what to say."

"I'm scared, Brooke, what will happen when they will come to know about this. Will Nathan hate me?"

She herself looked sad and torn like she was battling her own demons. Her insecurity was making her think all extreme scenarios.

"It won't happen, Allie and it wasn't you. It was your father. Hell, he was my father as well."

"No, I'm glad you are not related to that monster except for his surname. I always felt guilty and sad for being his daughter. He is a bad person and I have his blood running through my veins. It's frustrating sometimes."

"Don't say it, Allie. You are not like him so it doesn't matter. You don't need to be scared."

"It hurts, Brooke." She hugged me tightly, tears streaming her eyes and it broke my heart.

I knew what she was feeling and it was really sad. It was all complicated mess and all I wanted was to get out of it.

I didn't know what will be Bolton's reaction but I was scared as well. I tried to comfort her as much as possible.

Soon she drifted into a peaceful sleep. I was about to go to bed when my phone rang.

It was Asher.

"Hey..." I answered.

There was no sound for sometime then a voice slurred,

"My Broooooke.... Is it her?"

My eyes went wide again.

"Ash? Is that you?"

"Yes Babyyy..." he laughed.

"A... Are you drunk?" I was literally shocked.

Where was Asher? Why was he drunk? Why the fuck was he calling me?

"NO, Baby! Or maybe a little..." he giggled.

Oh my God! Asher Bolton just giggled. Shit! I wish I could see him.

"Where are you, Asher? Where is Nathan?"

"I'm at party..." then there was a voice of something dropping like he stumbled on something but he continued, "And that asshole Nate has locked me in a room."

"Good for you." I muttered.

"I want to see you Brooke. Now. Right now." he suddenly said and my breath hitched.

"What are you talking about? You should go to sleep."

"No! I want to tell you something."

My heart was beating like crazy.

For some time, there was no sound and suddenly the drunken Asher said, very loud and clear which nearly gave me a heart attack,

"I like you, Brooke; I like you so much...."